H
H asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

I hate interacting with people but then I feel lonely?

I have social anxiety and am an introvert, and over the years I’ve grown worn out with interacting with people. I just prefer to be alone. I’m sick of feeling judged and like a social failure every time I try to interact with people; tbh its exhausting, and I don’t have the energy for it. It’s at least a little more peaceful to just be alone. But then I start to get really lonely, while at the same time the thought of interacting with people makes me not want to do it...but that loneliness doesn’t go away. Help

Push yourself think about positive and negative outcomes and strive to achieve

Push yourself to get to know and speak to people. Give yourself a pep talk, positive self talk, and it will make it easier to put yourself out there. Once you get over the hurdle of saying "hi" or simply asking "how are you" you will have set a good impression and gotten practice with conversation.

Go to events where you can meet people who have a similar lifestyle, have similar interests or are in the same community. Your local library is a good place to start looking, so is online. Speak to your peers or coworkers. Any chance at exposing yourself to interaction, take it. The worst thing to do for yourself is to not try.

I know you're scared, I understand what you're going through, struggling with anxiety myself. But once you find the right people you vibe with, you can always stick primarily to a small circle. That's not to mention socializing online, which you've already started! Good luck!

You have interacted with 5,000 + unique people here and done a fine job.

You don't need to become social. Just hang on to one friend who will spend time doing things with you and be very open to just this one person. That'll overcome your loneliness. There's always that one person who'll hang out with you over coffee or driniks.

I have learned to hate people as quickly as possible. It saves time.

Talking and connection are two different things.

Maybe you haven’t met your sort of people yet, the type you have immediate great chemistry with where you feel anxious but in a good way. I know that when I’m around people who seem judgmental or bitchy or different from me, my anxiety is extremely bad and I go away from the social interaction feeling like a failure and it ruins my confidence. Has there ever been a person you’ve met that seems like they’d make a good friend, someone you could push yourself out of your comfort zone to speak to? There’s nothing worse than feeling lonely and I’m in the same boat but e must give up. Meditation before social interaction has helped me enormously. It has given my mind time to think and I don’t end up saying the first embarrassing thing that comes to my head. When you’re more relaxed, social interaction goes more smoothly, and you’re able to be yourself more. CBT works wonders too, it challenges those negative thoughts we have during social interactions and we can train it to not dwell or ruminate, or judge ourself too extreme in terms of success and failure. I wish you well, and I know from experience, how hard it is. Good luck friend x

I’m an introvert so I understand how you feel, I don’t get lonely in isolation but I do struggle to interact with others which is why I don’t. I think you should find an introverted person and become friends.

• Ashley T6 months agoReport

Or a kind extrovert to bring her out of her shell?

How do you imagine we can help you, other than to advise therapy?

• Ashley T6 months agoReport

Why bother going on yahoo if you’re going to give such u helpful advice to this girl

Life’s tough ain’t it sweetheart. Hard isn’t it to fight your social anxiety.

• Ashley T6 months agoReport

What a creepy *** post