Can I put money into a cash register if it s short a few dollars?

So at work today I was like 4 dollars short from what I was supposed to have in the register, so I took 3 dollars out of my wallet to balance it out. (If the amount in the register is off of what it should be more than 3 dollars I can get penalized) So is that okay that I did that?

You can be fired for this.

Practice and learn to be better on the register. It happens, but it shouldn't very often.

It is not OK. You could get fired for that.

Sure, especially if it makes you feel better. Your employer will think you are the best.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • DEBS

No. It's not okay to give people the wrong amount of change. It's really your main duty and what you get a paycheck for.

I recommend putting it in the Dish Washer

Risky. If a manager sees the cash drawer open (but no customer around) and sees money in your hand, they may not guess you are being honest and ADDING money. After the cash count with the manager say "I screwed up. I am willing to (or, Let me ...) make up the difference out of my pocket."

Source(s): my thoughts

If you are making mistakes, you need to learn a proper change return system. If it is your employees, you need to train them better or have better accountability for theft. I have paid for shortages on my drawer in a business. You should not be doing it if is not your fault. You should find the issue so that you can prevent it in the future. That's my short answer.

• Judy

not really supposed to

Tell them that you accept credit only. That way there’s no way you can screw up.

It’s your money so if you want to replace what you didn’t collect that’s your choice. All that matters is that the store doesn’t lose a whole bunch of money.

I think it's ok, otherwise they will assume you're stealing. I had the same issue because I am dyslexic. When I was 16 I worked at a pretzel stand in a mall. I didnt know at the time that I actually had Dyscalculia, a form of dyslexia where numbers and patterns are backwards sometimes. So I would usually end up with a short drawer by the end of my shift. At first it was simple, I would be short by a dollar or less. Other times it was worse. I was short by $20 one day after a very long and annoying shift on Black Friday. I apparently was stressed out and busy to where I was giving the wrong change back to everyone!! My boss was pissed. She ended up writing me up for it. She thought I stole it. Then later on I found out they were keeping a daily log on my drawer counts, just mine, because they wanted to fire me for it. Anyway long story short I ended up bringing my own cash and change to start making up for it so I wouldnt get fired over my disability.