What could cause this kind of leak?

There is a small leak in my bathroom ceiling directly over the tank of my toilet. The water is brown/rusty in color. It creates a puddle on the tank of my toilet. It has happened three times within the past month so far. the first two times was just a dried light brown spot, but the last time I saw a wet puddle. I live on the first floor of a two family house. What does it sound like could be wrong and what are possible causes of the source of the leak?

• Joe
    Favorite Answer

That's really for your landlord to figure out.

My wild guess: There's another toilet upstairs, directly over yours, and it's got a leak Guessing further: the seal between the tank and bowl (often called a "spud washer") has failed, and is producing a slow leak. Your neighbor might not even notice it.

Running a hand around the back of the bowl under the tank will find water. (Clean water, not sewage; don't be squeamish.)

Or it could be the wax ring at the floor level, in which case you're dealing with raw sewage.

some thing is wrong on the floor above ,

plumbing in the room directly over is leaking. this is a problem for landlord. if that's you, you'll likely need a handyman at least if not a plumber

• Edwena

The second floor has a bathroom on top of your bathroom. There is a leak in that bathroom. Probably the commode-floor flange. It leaks when they flush their commode.

• Bill

The other family's bathroom is probably above yours, and the leak would be from their toilet. Tell your landlord. How the f do I check my connection if it connects to Yahoo but not to refuckya?

The above toilet is leaking at the ring or the pipe is leaking.

The wax ring creates a barrier between the toilet and toilet flange. Which keeps water (faces and urine) from leaking into the floor when flushed.

Most likely it needs to be replaced. It's about a 30-45 min. job and very simple to fix.

That is hazardous waste that is leaking onto your toilet.

Tell your landlord to fix it. If there is any issues call your local housing authority

The wax seal on your upstairs neighbors' toilet is compromised, if they are identical apartments.