i touched inside of fluro batten, I was told it contains mercury. Am I going to die? Please answer I am worried.?
- Jim MoorLv 76 months ago
Trolls shouldn't ask questions about mercury!
CALL 911 and follow their directions
- 6 months ago
Wash your hands and you should be fine - there's really not enough Mercury is a heavy metal, meaning so long as you don't get "hand to mouth" transmission or inhaling it, you should be fine because it doesn't absorb through skin well.
- Roger the MoleLv 76 months ago
Wash your hands. You'll be fine.
[Yes, you're going to die, but presumably far in the future.]
- bravozuluLv 76 months ago
You aren't going to die or get sick from touching mercury in a broken bulb. Don't play with it though. The biggest danger is usually long exposure. You could certainly get toxic amounts of mercury but I doubt it is possible from a broken bulb unless you were in a very small room for an extended period like probably a broken one every day for a year or something like that. Miners used to use it to clean out gold. They regularly handed it and some even put it in potatoes. They put gold dissolved in mercury in the potato and put it in their camp fire. It vaporized the mercury and left the gold. Years of that did affect some of them. It should be mostly gas inside a florescent tube. If you broke in a room you would want to vetilate. I would leave if I could for a couple of hours but it wouldn't be much of a risk. The danger is seriously exaggerated by the EPA.
Many Scandanavians eat enough seafood that they get 20 times the "dangerous" level and they don't have any statistical evidence among those populations of any harm from it. You should be way under that level. I am sure there are many global warming studies that are trying to prove it dangerous. I would consider them almost certainly biased since we have populations where it clearly isn't that much of a danger. They also don't get published by government "scientists" unless it enforces the dangers of coal.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- don_sv_azLv 76 months ago
You do know that dentists put mercury amalgam fillings in teeth, don't you? Mercury amalgam is approximately 50% mercury mixed with other metals like silver or gold. Unless you have a severe exposure or sensitivity you will be fine.