Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Does my house have bad wiring? or something else?

I just moved into a new place. I have surge protectors for my TV's and computers. When i plugged them in, the surge protector faulted. It said the outlet was not properly grounded. I checked every outlet in the house, it seems to only be a problem in two rooms. Both of these rooms are right next to each other. The rest of the house is fine. The biggest concern is when i plugged my Computer's power strip in, Suddenly all those other outlets had a ground signal. The power strip itself didn't. But everything downstream from it did, And when i unplugged it, the ground circuit becomes open again. I removed the cover from every outlet. Every outlet looks normal, All ground wires seem secure. All hot and neutral wires look correct. I also checked for proper ground at the breaker itself. It seems fine. I'm stumped. Have you ever seen this before? What could the problem be?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim W
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    The problem is an open neutral in one of the devices in the circuit probably in one of the outlets closest to the power panel. Turn off the circuit to these two rooms and open every outlet in them and pull on the wires on the outlets. Make sure that they are ALL tight. Then put them back in the wall and test the circuit. repeat if needed.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

    Congratulations, you found some kind of wiring problem.

    You're stumped because you don't understand electricity and house wiring!

    Every outlet "looks normal"

    All ground wires "seem secure"

    All hot and neutral wires "look correct"

    Get out a voltmeter and use a 10 amp load and find the problem!

    If you can't or don't know how, then find someone who can and knows how!

    A big problem was created with "stab in" the back receptacles that don't attach the wires on the sides with SCREWS! If you have those, transfer the wires to the screws. If there are no screws, then replace them ALL!

    More than once I have found broken ground wires.

    I have found loose screws.

    I have found miswired receptacles.

    I have found 3-conductor (grounded) receptacles installed on 2-wire (ungrounded) systems.

    I have found loose wirenuts.

    You need to find the problem with a voltmeter.

    Check with the receptacles undisturbed (still fastened to the box). If the problem becomes intermittent because you

    Source(s): moved it, then the problem becomes much more difficult to find. If you don't understand how to trace wiring and troubleshoot, then stop now. The last thing you want to do is bump something which seems to make a problem disappear.
    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 6 months ago

    the hot and neutral lines are reversed somewhere upstream of the affected outlets ... assuming that the color coding of the wires for hose outlets is correct. simple handyman job ... one just has to find where it is wrong and fix it

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 6 months ago

    Another way to find out if the wiring in your home has gone bad is to check by feel. Without touching any wiring directly feel your home's electrical outlets for heat or vibrations. In the case of either, have an electrician check for and replace any loose or damaged wiring.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    The outlets in question don't have a good ground.

    Your little three-lamp outlet tester is finding a "sneak path" to neutral, from hot, through one of your surge protectors, possibly through a pilot light in the surge protector. That's not a good ground, but it's enough to light the light.

    Don't have anything else plugged in when you're using a three-lamp tester.

    EDIT:

    My guess would be that the safety ground (green or bare wire) does not have a good connection to the grounding buss bar in the main panelboard.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • 6 months ago

    One outlet is faulted neutral to ground.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • John
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

    Maybe the electricians got the wires mixed up in your house which makes a surge protector fault. Go to Home Depot and buy a 'bugeye' which should be ten dollars or less and you can look at the bugeye's LED's and tell at a glance if the electricians got the wires mixed up, and the directions are on the bugeye.

    • M.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

      Maybe a non-electrician got the wires mixed up?

    • Log in to reply to the answers
  • Rick
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

    the last house we rented before we moved west was like that, so I made a deal with the landlord and I did the grounds and he bought the materials.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.