Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Can my child’s father get visitation while in a methadone treatment program?

I have a 4 year old son who has had visitation with his father for the last 3 years. His father used to be addicted to pain pills and in the beginning he used suboxone to get off pain pills but told me he ended the program. I found out a few weeks ago that he was now on methadone and I’m not sure how long he has been on it. I’m not sure if judges rule that it is safe for children to visit their parents while their in the program. He is allowed to bring the medication home and claims he keeps it in a safe. His father also lives with his parents who have been pill poppers their whole lives but have prescriptions and just refill them when they run out by buying them off the streets. I always felt like I couldn’t prove that. I am now financially stable enough to afford a lawyer if I need to but curious if I’m wasting my time if judge will just rule he can see him. Looking for some insight or personal experience.

Regardless of the details, there is a way for a father to see his son: SUPERVISED VISITATION.

Both father and child deserve a chance to have a relationship.

Look, you PICKED this guy to have sex with. You CHOSE this man to be the father of your child. Now, he is yours to deal with, so do what you can so father and son can have a relationship. Trust me, if that man emotionally hurts his son, his son will alienate him and be done with it. But, what if, what if, the father and son forge a decent relationship and have a good life to share? Why would you not hope and pray for such a wonderful bond?

The father has been raised with pill poppers. He knows no different and is dealing with the consequences of his actions. I have known two people who are on the methadone program and they function perfectly normal and have good jobs now. So, seeking treatment does help many people. Please educate yourself about the program.

Perhaps you can have your lawyer order supervised visitation along with random drug testing so you can monitor that he is above board and also have the piece of mind that his visits with his son are the best they can be.

Try to work WITH him, not AGAINST him. Yes, I understand completely that you want to put his son first, I get that. I am a mother myself, so I KNOW how protective a mom can be. But, this guy is the father and deserves a chance to be one. He does.

Sooo, he effed up. But now he is trying hard to get his life together. Give him a chance, please. I am not saying drop his son off for a weekend. As a matter of fact, I would arrange for him and his son to meet away from his parent's house as a neutral environment is probably the best idea at this point. Give that man something to stay clean for, let him see his son under controlled circumstances. They both deserve to know one another.

You can but with a third party

Buy an hour with a family law attorney to discuss this. If your coparent is in a rehab program and following the rules thereof a judge would probably give him the benefit of the doubt. But I don't know your whole case and only an experienced professional could guide you correctly.

Do u already have a standing court issued custody order? If not I would start there. The visits need to be supervised to protect ur little one.

I would be very surprised if you can not AT LEAST get supervised visits with his son. Your son needs to be protected.

First off, you don't say what Methadone program he is in or where it is at.....so how could you take your son to visit? If his father wanted his visit, he should CALL YOU and tell you what program he is in and where it is at. It is NOT YOUR JOB to track him down for a visit.

Secondly, how do you know that the program allows minor children to visit and under what circumstances? You could always call the program director to find out but again, you don't know where it is or the phone number there and again, it is NOT YOUR JOB to track this down.

Lastly, The order is for visitation with HIM and not his parents, right?

So you don't know where he is and you don't know if the program allows visitation....you're not responsible.

But BEFORE YOU CONTACT A LAWYER make SURE that you have proof that he is admitted to a methadone program and he is allowed to bring the injections home with him. Perhaps the judge will stop visitation until he can PROVE that he is clean and totally off the drugs and the maintenance dose.

I'm sorry but I just don't feel that he is an appropriate role model for your son and if his parents ENABLE his drug use and abuse, they are not appropriate either.

Methadone will not be enough on its own.. Plenty of parents are on medications that would be lethal to their children. As long as they keep them put up and the medicines effect doesn't hinder their ability to keep the child safe there is no real issue. If he "nods" off or is high on it (visibly) Then you can use that. But don't just assume he is bc he will be able to show the judge his dose levels. And being able to take his medicine home generally implies he has been doing things correctly unless he is going to a poorly managed facility.

• Anonymous6 months agoReport

Have you had personal experience with methadone and child custody?

you could always do supervised visits