My csed expired but it's still keeping my refund?

It's over 20 years since my date of assessment but again the IRS kept my refund. Isn't my debt over once the statue of limitations passes?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Did you live outside the US for 6 months at all during the original csed? Did you apply for innocent spouse relief or ever apply for an offer in compromise? File for bankruptcy? Request a collection due process hearing? All of theses things automatically extend the csed.

• NA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Did you check to see if the account had been zeroed oit before filing?

• 6 months ago

Request an IRS transcript using Form 4506-T

• ...Show all comments
    • NA
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Yeah, the transcript that actually shows your CSED date(s) and whether or not the account has been zeroed out. If you filed without double checking the account transcript, it's your own fault.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You asked this earlier but said 10 years instead of 20 years. Same answers apply. IRS will continue to withhold refunds until you've paid them what you owe them in full.

• NA
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part5/irm_05-001-019

There *is* a statute of limitations. 10 for federal. Up to 20 for some states.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

no, SOL does not apply to government debt or student loans or child support, and some other things.

• NA
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part5/irm_05-001-019

There *is* a statute of limitations. 10 for federal. Up to 20 for some states.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Limits and requirements that apply to businesses and you such as the SOL, the government frequently makes them exempt to those. Get an attorney.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.