How to start a diesel repair shop?

I'm 20 years old, have been a farm kid and I have 3 years of professional wrench cranking experience. I also have a friend with a simmilar story who is down to make this happen.

Just been given the oppritunity to leave my home of california and move to Tulsa Oklahoma and start up a diesel repair shop. I love the idea but I dont have the slightest idea where to begin. It's not like I can just show up and open the doors. Thought I'd start here and ask if anyone has any advice or knows of any complications I may run into and how to get over those complications. I havent made the decision yet, but its definitley something i want to look into. Thank you for any advise.

• John

You'll need diesel tools in a more serious way than you probably have now. You'll need all the electronic diagnostics, you'll need lifts and winches and you'll need 10,000 square feet of shop. Giant air compressor, office. $500,000+ and then you'll need operating expenses. You can add a parts department to that, too, even if it's small to start.

• Judy

You start by writing a business plan, with everything you have to have and do to start and operate your business.

• Stoo

You start by getting educated beyond "professional wrench cranking". You can tinker with basic small engines OK, but even those are increasingly more sophisticated - car and truck engines are fully integrated mechantronic systems. You can't throw a wrench at it and make it work again - you have to know basics of electronics and programming, since most modern engines are computer controlled, and engine manufacturers are increasingly black-boxing it so you can't just tinker and hack - they want only certified mechanics to touch their engines since screwing with the code wrong can ruin the whole system.

As for opening a shop, don't - apprentice at one first. Then you can learn on the job from people who have done this for years, and learn all the basics of running a business that way.

Starting up at 20 with no formal experience or credentials is really not going to work - assuming you have money (and you'll need a lot of that as well) you'll just end up wasting it offering a service that you don't understand and few will actually want.

Look into community/trade colleges that offer mechanic training - and/or consider mechanical or electrical engineering to get a deeper understanding of how modern engines work.

• That idiot6 months agoReport

Well I mean I have been working professionally and full time at a commercial diesel shop for 3 years now... yes I know that's nothing but I'm also not playing with craigslist lawnmowers in my moms backyard.

• Greg

You put together a business plan. Google it. You have to determine, and put into the plan, many details including how much money it will take to start up, what licenses/permits will be required and how you will get them, what your market is, how well served your market is, how you will penetrate that market, what sort of building and equipment you will need, etc, etc, etc.