Can anyone recommend me any good quality record players to buy?

I'm buying my boyfriend a record player for his birthday, but I know nothing about record players. I know the ones on the cheaper end are not that great, but I'm a broke college student so my budget is a minimum of $300. Can anyone recommend me any record players that are worth the cheap price? Thank you. (:

Favorite Answer

I don't recommend buying a record player. Good quality and record player are terms that are mutually exclusive.

The current trend of listening to vinyl records is due three factors:

1. Sheer novelty. Young people have never experienced physical media that they can remove from the player and hold in their hand much less watch spin around in circles.

2. Nostalgia - "retro". For some reason this has become cool. I understand that cassettes are making a comeback. My mind reels.

3. The incorrect notion that they "sound better". Better than what? Mp3 files on a smartphone? Perhaps. A CD or another lossless digital format. Not a chance. Just the pops and clicks on a record negate this. Back in the 1980s I couldn't wait to get a CD player and get rid of my turntable.

Vinyl records can in fact sound quite good but they need to be played on a turntable that is plugged into a high fidelity sound system - a "stereo" not a pair of computer speaker or smartphone speakers - certainly not one of those monophonic "smartspeakers."

There is a difference between a turntable and a record player. The latter has everything built in, the amplifier, preamplifier and speakers.

What it comes down to is this:

If your boyfriend wants to play records for the sheer novelty of it, buy him a record player after reading reviews and pick the one that is the most durable. None of them are going to sound very good. You want one that won't break.

If he wants to play records because they sound better, he better have a pretty good stereo system and buying him a turntable is going to be difficult. If he has a good stereo he is probably smart enough to know something about turntables and he may not like the one you buy. "That's a direct drive! They suck! I wanted a belt drive!" I'm sure you don't want that to happen. Perhaps a gift certificate to Best Buy.

• There were a few, very few high fidelity record players made. The KLH models for example. But they are all "vintage" and would need to be gone over by a tech if you could even get one for your price. They are collector's items.

Learn the difference between "minimum" & "maximum".

you could try amazon, they sell everything there

• AVDADDY

Pearl, you will appear a lot less foolish if you you quit spouting drivel about subjects that you know nothing about.

STOP.

HALT.

DON'T!

This is something to do ONLY with the In-Person help of someone

who knows how to look for good USED equipment at low prices.

It CAN be done, but mistakes are all too easy to make,

so Be Careful about what you buy.

• spacemissing

Dual 1219 at an estate sale, $10. Lots of other good deals, too. Gotta know what you're looking at, though.

The Audio-Technica AT-LP120 is about the cheapest I've ever seen anyone recommend. The main thing in its favor is the fact that it's direct-drive, which means you don't have to worry about it running too fast or slow. Cheap belt-driven ones are almost always off-speed, and you usually need a strobe disc to properly retune them.

• Stardust5 months agoReport

Thanks for your insight! I will look into it!

Did you a mean a *maximum* of $300?

• Stardust5 months agoReport

Oops! Yes I did, my bad, good catch!