Is misgendering someone an actual thing?

Yes. If calling someone the N word or a b***h is an actual thing.

Is a thing certain batsh!t extremists complain about, it's a thing that's had people banned from Twitter, and the police show up at their door in the UK, having been reported by trans activists. (It was used as harassment, but they didn't get arrested.) It's technically illegal in some places but none of these laws have been tested as constitutional and I don't believe they are. NY has it as a law but it will never hold up in court. You can't compel speech.

I used to use the pronouns people wanted out of politeness but I have stopped doing that. I do it for people I respect (which is few) but nobody else. Especially not f#cking criminals. I don't know if you've noticed the spate of crazy "women" criminals in the news recently who have actually all been men, aka transwomen. Like the Capital One hacker. It pisses me off they're referred to as "women" with no qualifications like trans. If they called them transwomen it'd be accurate, but they don't. Woman and female are being used by the media. These men have not had genital surgery, a few of them are on HRT but many of them merely "self-ID" with no hormones and no surgery. Crime stats right now are a total farce.

Is mistaking young boys with longish hair as girls an actual thing? Ask your question to a group of butch lesbians.

• HMFan

Depending on how someone presents, yes, they could be misgendered. But I would also hope that the person being misgendered realizes two important things: (1) new people will not your whole history, and (2) if you present as the opposite sex or ambiguously, people WILL make mistakes. Cut them some slack. Most people try to be civil and polite; don't jump down their throat because they're making an effort to be courteous. A simple, polite, quiet correction will suffice.

Grammatically, yes. It should be categorized as a social faux pas, but nothing more.

It happens; it's happened to me once: a student with a soft baby face, no facial hair, a long do, a soft voice, and baggy gender-neutral clothes. My position: if I have to guess at a student's gender, I'm not to blame for guessing wrong.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

I've misgendered someone before, though in my defense, I didn't verbally call her a male, I simply had been assuming she was due to how boyish she looked, and her voice was quite androgynous, as well. If you've ever referred to a man as a woman, or a woman as a man, before they corrected you, you've misgendered someone! Horrors!

(really, though, it's not a big deal unless it's intentional and malicious. My story was about accidental misgendering)

• Pyrus

Yea, it's normal sometimes to confuse people's genders. If someone showed you a baby (clothed), would you be able to identify their gender? That's one example. At times, you can also possibly confuse a bulky body with a short haircut (just an example) for a male, when they're actually a female, especially if it's from the side or from afar. So, it's pretty common.

• Of course it is.

It can be done accidentally or on purpose.

The former is understandable, while the latter is not.

• Cogito

Yes. It is.

Research it if you're interested.