Why do people think the word universe doesn’t start with a long U sound?

The word universe has a vowel sound in it and the last time I checked a Long vowel is the term used to refer to vowel sounds whose pronunciation is the same as its letter name.

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

Does anyone pronounce universe any other way? I've been told that if a person mispronounces a word, they probably learned that word by reading.

• John P

Certainly in Britain and Australia I have only heard "YOO-ni-verse". Some from eastern Europe, having partially learned English, might say "OO-ni-verse".

I can't understand where you have heard 'universe' pronounced with any other 'u' sound that the long vowel (the sound of the letter itself). It is pronounced 'YOU-ni-verse'). A short 'u' pronunciation would be 'uh-ni-verse' with the 'u' sound that begins the word 'ugly,' or 'under.'

You are rather confused.

The word 'universe' is pronounced 'YOO-nee-verse'. 'Yoo' certainly sounds the same as the letter 'u'.

How do you explain that there are more vowel sounds than vowel letters? You're barking up the wrong tree, sorry xD

• Sandy J.2 months agoReport

There are more than 1 sound for each vowel. There is a short vowel sound, and a long vowel sound. For example A is for Apple, but the word Ate starts with an A also.The A you here in Apple is a short A. The A you hear when you say the word Ate, is the long vowel sound

It doesn't start with a "u" sound at all. It starts with a "y" sound, with is why you say "a universe" not "an universe". You are not correct that the long sound sounds like saying the name of the letter. A long "u" sounds like "ooooo" as in flute and cute.

• Sandy J.2 months agoReport

The letter Y never sounds like itself. It either sounds like YU”.' as in the word “ Yes, or it sounds like an E. My name is Sandy, the Y sounds like an E in this case.

• Zirp

I have no idea what you mean by "long U". Give some examples

In English, the word starts with a Y-consonant-sound, not an oo-sound

• Sandy J.2 months agoReport

Long U sounds like itself. You are right in what you say. The person whom you are trying to help I don’t believe understands there are 2 sounds to every vowel.

• Laurie

If people think that, they are mistaken.

I don't know any people who think that. If you do know some, ask them.

cause theyre not used to the way it sounds

Where did you hear that?