Anonymous

Why can't I ever make my manager happy?

Okay, so I work retail while going to school to be a teacher. I got hired 5 months ago and everything was really good and my manager was always very nice to me. However, for the last month, no matter what I do , she's mad at me for something. I've gone in on my days off to help her, I've stayed past my shifts to help her, I never call in sick, I'm responsible, I work well when I'm at work and everyone really likes me especially the customers...and yet my manager still complains ...I don't understand what I'm doing wrong ...can someone explain?

• Jane
    Favorite Answer

Could be time to look for another job?

Bear in mind that managers in customer facing jobs like retail and hospitality are often very stressed- low pay, pressure from all sides. This doesn't excuse her behaviour, but just don't take it personally- when you're at work, just do your job, push back on the feeling that you have to make your manager happy (she may have personal problems that are nothing to do with you) and focus on your qualifications.

You're going to be moving on, stay with your goals and don't waste your mental well-being on matters that are not within your power to solve.

May be, the company itself is out business and your manager has invested all her retirement money in it. I be grouchy too.

YOU need to discuss this with your manager - NOT us.

sounds JUST like the manager I currently have, yeah I come in when called in, stay late, come in early, work hard, yet she never smiles and writes on my evaluation that I "partially Meet" expectaions" She SUCKS!!!

The only advice I can give you is confront her or find a new job, I'm currently looking for a new job, I have been at the retail store I work at for a LOT longer than 5 months too.

It sounds like she's jealous in my opinion. You don't do anything wrong so she has no reason to not like you. If she's being hateful or being rude you can go to hr about it. You don't wanna deal with that drama when you don't have to.

• GEEGEE

Ask her for some feedback. Ask her if she has a bit of time to talk. Get her to explain her expectations and listen carefully and don't be defensive or dismissive. Clarify points if they don't make sense. If you feel her issues are valid then work towards making things better. If you think she's off course, consider a transfer or a new job.

,.......................

He sounds like a dick head

• Jay R

Sometimes, people slip into behaviors without realizing it. Have a talk with her and ask her if she's as unhappy with you as she appears to be.

• kelvin

why not ask her than