Steven
Steven asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

Could I use minced lamb / beef in making a curry?

I find diced lamb and beef to be pricey but minced meat is alot cheaper. Would it work?

• denise

Yes, you can, its called a 'Keema' curry made with minced lamb, Google an Indian recipe.

• Jane

I'd make a lamb kofta curry or kebab, serve a veg and/ or lentil curry on the side, rice and chapattis or naan- delicious! Don't buy cheap beef mince, it's very fatty and tasteless and a waste of money.

In the recipe below, it might seem like a lot of ingredients, but you can use the spice mix in other curries (fridge or freeze), and I use tinned tomatoes for the sauce.

Yes but it's not going to be as good. Smaller is not better as you will find when you get a girlfriend.

Minced lamb is the meat in a "Kofta" curry. It is also used in Indian style kebabs such as Seekh kebab

eg.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/lamb-k...

https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2013/05/13/lamb-seek...

Substitute beef if you want, it should give fairly similar results.

• Betty

You can but the taste wouldn't be as good...

Yes, look for a recipe for a Keema curry.

different texture of end result but sure you could

• Bear

If you buy cheap mince,you'll get a lot of fat in the form of a scum,floating on the top of it.

Use diced chicken,or buy chicken breasts and thighs,and cut them up yourself.

I don't understand the question. Minced lamb or beef IS minced meat. Yes, you can use them to make a curry, although most curries don't have minced meat in them. You're in the UK, I gather- it's very difficult to get minced lamb in the US, and we call it "ground beef", not minced. So are you thinking that something labeled "minced meat" is different from minced lamb or beef?

• Cara

Gypsyfish, the asker is saying that minced meat is cheaper than DICED meat.

• Norman

Sure it would, I often use minced meat for a curry including chicken.