Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Why don't Westerners use rice cookers?

36 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

We don't eat rice so very often that a device designed specifically for that purpose would be economical (in both terms of money and space taken up in the kitchen).

If we were to eat rice with almost every meal, then it would make sense to have a rice cooker.

• 5 months ago

I don't know, but what I do know is that you can get steamed rice if you cook the rice in an oven safe pot and cook it in the oven. You you boil the water on the stove, stir in the rice and any other ingredients, turn the heat off, put the lid on, and then put the pot in a preheated 375° F degree oven for about 25 minutes. Cooking it in the oven ensures more even cooking and greatly reduces the rice sticking or burning to the bottom of the pot.

• Jane
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I have a tiny kitchen, no room for extra machines, I find it easy to make perfect rice in a pan on the hob

• 5 months ago

I don't see very many sold at non-Asian stores, especially not the really legit ones that Asians usually own...

Plus since Asians usually want rice ready-to-go around the clock... them rice cookers make more sense.

My stepdad HATES rice.

I guess the no-taste concept, just like tofu, is something some people just don't like.

What I don't get (or like)?

Black licorice, bananas, watermelon, milk, M&Ms...

Those are so overrated but they seem to have a cult following.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Because saucepans work perfectly well. And I for one am not going to buy a gadget that very rarely gets used.

• 5 months ago

While rice is often used as a component of meals as a side dish, or casserole, it’s not a staple we incorporate consistently, so having gadgets to speed up cooking are focused more on one pot meals, or air frying.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I do in the U.K.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Who says we don't? I am on my second and use it for quinoa, as well as rice. We also use woks and chopsticks when they are better than their western equivalents. Westerners are not all as parochial as you think.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I have a rice cooker, given to me by a Chinese friend, but I only use it if I am already using all four burners on my gas cooker for other things. It is very good, though, and it keeps the cooked rice warm without overcooking it.

• 5 months ago

We call them steamers.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because we eat our rice raw.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

The joke section is thataway, dear.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.