Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Is it abuse when a parent smacks their 16-year-old daughter on the mouth for swearing?

• Lita

Not to me but how to discipline is up to the parent.

maybe its not abuse but whats wrong with swearing? everyone does it from time to time

Absolutley! In fact you can do it at all ages. I remember back when my little girl was 8 she said the word heck so i beat her to hades and back. Now she never says any bad words, she barely even speaks! 10/10 would recomend.

No because she shouldn't have sweared to start with. However this depends on the situation, for example if she here's her parents intentionally using curse words then that's on them. However if this is a situation where you told her to get off the computer or television and she says something like " **** you" then that requires discipline such as going to bed without dinner but smacking her in the mouth isn't abuse, that's corporal punishment.

NO. If a 16-year old swears, especially to his or her parents, then the 16-year old needs to accept responsibility and learn from it.

No. Abuse is when the child gets smacked when not being disciplined.

• helene

It would be wrong to knock her teeth out or bust her lip wide open, I suppose.

But that's not what a SMACK is, is it? I hate these disingenous questions that do not take any context or intent into account.

If she starts cursing out her grandmother within arm's length of me, she's going to get slapped.

If she stubs her toe and says a bad word, I'll probably do nothing. One is important. The other is not. See?

It likely could be considered so today, as parents have already lost the battle if they resort to physical responses like that. You may want to have a conversation when things calm down.

• edward

At that age, she should know better. I see it as robust, high quality parenting.

Yeah, that is abusive. There is literally nothing that your 16 year old daughter could say that would justify hitting her in the face.

Teenagers can be really tough, and they can make you very angry, but physical violence is never the right response.