Why would people bother going to the coast on a BH weekend (UK). I just took some rubbish to our local tip and was caught up in a huge?

tail-back coming home to the N.Cornwall coast where we live. Luckily I know the back roads but makes me wonder whether all those people will be waiting to find a parking spot, come late Monday!!

I live on the north coast of Cornwall, too. I assume they come because it's beautiful! It must be hard work on the roads, though. It's getting pretty busy in our village already.

the lucky ones came down on friday.

• Who

who on earth would somebody living in a holiday spot take rubbish to a tip on a BH?

• Verulam 1

Because, my friend, not that it's any of your business, the bags contained grass cuttings, which ferment making a gooey mess, if left too long.

The queued cars don't bother us. We take our motorcycles and sail past the gridlocked sheep.

• Jack H

When I worked for the Union, we always had an extra days holiday after Bank Holiday Mondays, I asked why after a while, the Regional Secretary and his second in command were both keen caravanners so we all gained because they preferred to drive home on the Tuesday. I used to avoid the coast whenever possible over bank holiday weekends...

• Lv 5

You had plenty of free time with three day weeks and Union strikes.

• Biff

Beaches are popular visitor destinations when it is sunny. That's why so many people fly to the 'Costas' where sunshine is almost guaranteed.

I had a job in mid-Cornwall for a while which involved driving. That was at a time when the Eden Project was a popular wet weather destination so there was no escape from visitors' traffic jams wet weather or dry. I tried to schedule jobs to avoid the hell of Newquay.

Don't forget these visitors bring money to your county and keep many businesses going.

• Verulam 1

Assuming they can find ANYWHERE to park, and spend their money!!!