Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

Worried about my fish! He got stuck between the fish tank and the filter!?

My fish must of swam into the tiny gap and not been able to get out I thought he was dead when I spotted him but he’s out and swimming around but one of his fins is clamped to his side and he isn’t using it anymore. Is there anything I can do to help him, as other than that he’s acting okay but I feel awful.

I had an Oscar get his tail get snipped off by a yabby and he died a week later I would of got him out of the tank but I moved absolutely everything in the tank and no sign of him the yabbies had no problem finding him obvisly

so let him out of that spot? the fish will be fine unless it was there for like a week

Melafix for a few days

• Jesse6 months agoReport

Im guessing someone didnt like your answer because melafix was mean to them as a child? Its literally for fin and tissue repair as well as infections, like who thought they knew enough about it to downvote it as a suggestion, but were aware they didn't know enough to correct you?

I agree with Book Shel's post. This is a wait and see, chances are he bruised the area and may have strained something and is babying the fin until it heals up which may take several days. Luckily fish are pretty resilient, we had any beta's, goldfish and especially tropical like the zebra and black mollies, red swordfish that over zipping around in the tank and would either wedge themselves in the decorations - too fat to fit through their building doors, windows or holes in the decrotative fencing, or the buggers would jump out of the tank, always aiming for the bright light at the top where the tubing ran in. That was a 3/4 inch hole and for whatever reason they would jump the tank and and on the carpet. Most of the time we found them within the first few minutes, the dog. Usually heard the splash and would bark like mad,but on occasion we found them almost dead, gasping for air dried on one side pretty much and we put them back in whee they sank and hovered for several days. About the time we figured to end their misery they soulful be back to zipping around being their normal obnoxious selves. We ended up lugging the hole with the white filter batting since the small piece of plastic we had kept getting knocked off. Dint have the problem after that. Also changed the decor so nobody could get stuck.

Ike Book Shelf stated, block the area behind the tube so the fish cannot get stuck again, that way no second ocurance.

Hopefully he pulls through okay, if he's swimming around it sounds Iike

he just bruised himself up a bit. Give it time and see what happens.

OMG, this is totally bringing back haunting memories of Finding Nemo. Nemo had a little gimp fin like your fish, and then there's that bit where he has to escape the aquarium by going through the filter.

I think all you can realistically do is to 'be there' for your fish at this difficult time. And like Book Shelf says, try to plug that gap - although absolutely do not follow Book Shelf's advice to use 'polyfilla'.

There's probably some trauma to the area, it's ultimately a wait and see situation with events like this.

You can get some filter sponge or poly filter and fill the gap between the filter and the tank wall to help avoid future incidents.

I hope he pulls through for you, I had a betta do the same thing and at first it looked bad but he was doing fine the next day. It was a sponge filter so it was softer than plastic on glass, but if your fish is active I have good hopes for it.