Should i just end this now? (religious differences)?

My boyfriend is Catholic and cannot marry someone is not Catholic. I am not religious. I think its all hogwash. I don't feel i should become something i don't want to be or follow their rules when i don't want to. Am i selfish? He thinks i am for not wanting to be Catholic...

78 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Not a good idea to stay together when you have religious differences unless you agree to one day "follow" his beliefs. If this goes against what you desire for your life, I strongly suggest moving on. & Besides that, no one should force their religion on you... EVER. I'm missionary Baptist but we never pressure or force anyone into following or believing us. All that is up to each individual. That's the way it should be. & We don't JUDGE! God created us all & loves us all EQUALLY! Don't be with someone who feels different!

• 3 months ago

First of all, and I say this as a Christian, he CAN marry you if he is Catholic and you are not. I speak directly from experience because my father was Catholic and my mother was Episcopalian and they had a wonderful 46 year marriage. Each went to their own church and was very happy. I was baptized Catholic and raised Episcopalian and everyone was happy. Now, again as a Christian, it sounds like your boyfriend is pressuring you to be Catholic and you are not religious. Sounds also like he won't compromise and maybe a bit insecure in his faith if he is going to pressure you this way. This is not going to get better the further on your relationship goes. You do not need this. End it now.

• 3 months ago

I'm a Christian and my ex boyfriend was an atheist and as believers we are supposed to not be with unbelievers as the Bible says, and if you love someone and believe in the afterlife and separation from God = hell for unbelievers then you will want them to be saved too, and also want to raise children to share the same values and beliefs for their own good. In the end you can't "make" anybody a believer it's a matter of the heart, not a ritual or a religious practice but a relationship with God, that is impossible to have if you don't even believe in a God. If you both seek to change each other then obviously you're not the right match. I can tell you though there is good reason to believe in a creator and good reason to believe in Jesus but your heart needs to be in the right place to be humble enough to see that.

• Jane
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

This isn't about religion, it's about your relationship.

You and he were attracted towards each other for a reason- what do you love about each other, what do you have in common? Something has brought you together despite your differences.

Pause for thought. Communicate. Try to reach an understanding between you.

Then you can make a decision.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

I am chatolic too and there is no problem if chatolic marry other religion....today is a lot of mixed religion marriged

• Jess4rsake
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

There are also a lot of divorces-- too many divorces resulting in broken family relationships.

• 3 months ago

maybe not at all

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Sadly, I’m not religious either so if a dude is religious then it’s a big put off because I know for a fact that if we were to get married we wouldn’t work out. Never. It’s best to leave and have someone who is like you and not different.

• 3 months ago

Take a long walk away and do not look back.. HE is brainwashed so much you will never be right for him or his family. YOU WILL HAVE problems for life if you stay with him. You will either have to change and forget most of what you grew up believing and thinking or you will not make it very long in his family or his life anyway.. BE SMART and walk before you regret it.

• car253
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes. End it now. Once married you will have to brain wash the kids and do all the catholic things for the kids, baptism, holy communion, all kinds of catholic stuff.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

That ain't selfish do what you feel is right. Catholics are psycho anyway

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.