Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 4 months ago

Would hairspray of killed a spider?

I have arachnophobia and have had a large spider living under my bed so not slept in there for 2 nights. Yesterday I managed to see it come out twice and use hairspray on it (from a distance of maybe 3-4 feet away) both times it ran off under the bed again but after the 2nd time when I managed to spray it for longer I’ve not seen it since. I’m petrified of spiders and just wondered if it’s likely alive and I’ll have to try hoover it up or if it has liked died by now, as it didn’t die instantly after being sprayed and has scuttled out of sight. Thanks

Stepping on it would work much better. Hair spray would take too long.

• Beast

Windex will also kill it

Probably, but your real problem is that where you find a spider, there are more around in the same general area. Spiders lay several thousand fertile eggs on average when they reproduce.

yes. hairspray will definitely kill it. arachnids and insects breathe through holes in their exoskeleton and hairspray will seal those holes closed

it likely would HAVE, yes, if you dumped a lot on it. Depends on the hairspray. Water-based hairsprays are not common but the ones that are would not likely kill a spider. the other components of hairspray are not normally very poisonous to animals, although the liquid carrier (an alcohol or other volatile organic compound) might be in large quantities.

It probably does, as others have stated. But I'd be concerned about the effects of the hairspray on the furniture and carpets. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the hairspray contains some glue or varnish, which could accumulate and cause a problem.

Sadly that will kill a spider in time, impossible to say how long but not very.

That poor spider probably been living under your bed all season eating pest bugs, and never was a problem til you spotted it.

I have a couple spiders living in my room, one right next to the bed. Never once been a problem or nuisance other than a messy web. One that comes out and chills on the wall at night, he is a good size, cover the palm of my hand, totally harmless though and a good moth and roach catcher.

For the work and expense of combating spiders, you could deal with your fear, then like saying good night little spood before going to sleep. They are not the bad guys, more your friend than enemy.

Yea, yours likely crawled into a dark hide to curl up and die, Large is your panicked view.

This to me is getting large:

https://livingitwell.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/0...

• daniel g

That is what I said, and it can be overcome. Small steps, start with control of panic. Helps if you have a coach. Maybe keep one of those cute jumping spiders, they have cured more arachnophobia than doctors just getting to know them.

• Newton

not sure but chemicals such as ammonia found in Windex will kill spiders and insects. Formula 409 is also an excellent insect killer. Bottled ammonia that you find in a grocery store can also kill insects and spiders.