Aldora asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 10 months ago

Is this overweight?

I’m 5’4 female and 135 pounds. What’s the ideal weight at 5’4 to be considered thin?

Overweight is defined as excess fat tissue that can impair health. So, it is secure to say that obesity is actually a disease which further leads or is the major cause of several other chronic health problems. There are several different procedures for determining excess fat tissue; The most basic method is the body mass index (BMI).

Your BMI is based on your height and weight. It's one way to see if you're at a healthy weight.

Calculate your BMI (BMI=Weight(kg)/height2(m2)))

Underweight: Your BMI is less than 18.5

Healthy weight: Your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9

Overweight: Your BMI is 25 to 29.9

Obese: Your BMI is 30 or higher

Unchecked and unregulated Weight can often lead to shocking results in personal health matters. Keep an eye on your weight, to act before its too late.

Weight alone is not a good indication of body measurements, body composition, or how other people perceive that person. As A.J. noted, you can use a BMI calculator to determine the range for a healthy weight, but women your height and weight could look very different based on muscle mass, where they store fat, how curvy they are, etc.

I'd suggest that rather than focusing on weight, you focus on health and fitness. If you feel you are carrying extra fat on your body, decrease your calories, improve the quality of the foods you eat, and increase exercise. Maybe over a couple of months you drop 10 pounds of fat and gain 3 pounds of muscle -- you'll look and feel different. Over a year of improved habits maybe. you stay there or you continue to tone your muscles and decrease your body fat percentage.

The point is that you can't anticipate how other people will view you at your current weight or at 120 or 110. There is no way of guessing whether you are now or would be healthy at a different weight. Losing 10-20 pounds isn't going to automatically make you prettier, more popular, smarter, sexier, or healthier.

• Julien

"ideal weight" according to which criterion?

According to medical criteria from epidemiology, the ideal is around 22 kg/m2 for a healthy young women and increases with age, so that for old ladies the best survival rate is around 27 kg/m2. It changes a bit from person to person, and is very sensitive to extra variables likes age, physical activity, smoking, cancer/HIV/...

"Overweight" is usually defined as > 25 kg/m2 but there is some debate about whether this really makes sense.

You're at 23.2 kg/m2, so you're quite close to the ideal weight medically speaking.

According to studies on attractiveness, the ideal tend to be around 19 kg/m2, but :

1) I found this number in relatively old studies, from the 90's or 2000's, before the Kardashian butt effect. It was the time in which the ideal was the skinniest, compared to other historical periods.

2) It varies from one country to another and from one (sub)culture to another. This number come from American (or maybe European) subjects, with probably a big over-representation of white Americans.

3) It depends a lot from one person to another. Actually those studies show that the attractiveness rating of skinny women tend to be very similar, like if they were all interchangeable, but as you consider curvier women there is much more dispersion of the points: being fatter fits some women better than others.

• d

No. Depending on your build and body type, anywhere from around 110lb to 140lb can be okay.

No, not at all but it's at the higher end of normal. 120-125 is normal. 110 is on the low side. It will also depend on your frame size, of course. I am 5ft 5 and most of my life was 124-127--normal. I was unwell and went down to around 114 and looked really gaunt; it was not a nice look.

• Dv8s

I'm 5'3 and 3/4th”, almost 5'4”, and last year, I was up to 130 lbs. None of my clothes looked good on me, because, I wasn't comfortable in my own skin. You're not overweight, but if you don't feel comfortable in your own skin, change it, I did. I weigh 110 lbs and for my height it feels right.

• A.J.

Height and weight can get a Body Mass Index, but age is a factor in typical thin or heavy.

Also, at a BMI, it does not provide bone, muscle, organ, fat, water weight, etc and so some in good shape at a height and weight and some need more exercise

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

5'4" Female at 135 pounds is within a healthy weight range.

23.1 kilograms per square meter is bit high depending upon structure and muscle mass.

125 pounds at 21.4 kilograms per square meter is ideal for an average structure.

115 pounds at 19.7 kilograms per square meter is considered thin, but in healthy range also.

Yes.

110 would be ideal for your height.