Cody asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 months ago

Can I maintain my current muscle mass while reducing body fat?

If I have a small daily deficit of 300 calories, consume a lot of protein, and continue to work my muscles using dumbbells, is this possible?

First of all, you're making the same mistake that many athletes who don't know any better and who have been brain-washed by either other ignorant athletes or food supplement companies that extra protein will cause you to increase muscle mass. This is wrong. All it does is force your liver and kidneys to work harder. The liver has to convert the protein into carbohydrates or fat and the kidneys have to work harder eliminating all the metabolites produced in the process. I get so tired trying to tell weight lifters and athletes this!!!

Second, for a male, the minimum amount of fat you must maintain is 2 percent. Your body needs fat for cushioning organs and for absorption of fat soluble vitamins among other things.

Finally, if you're using dumbbells and trying to achieve muscle hypertrophy you're wasting your time unless the dumbbells are so heavy that you have a hard time lifting them and doing anything that requires more than about 4 or 5 reps. I get tired of telling people this too! I'm not even going to try to convince you. You, like most athletes probably won't believe me anyway. If you are intelligent and just ignorant (and that's not an insult; everyone is ignorant of things they haven't studied or learned in some way, and that includes Einstein), get a book on human physiology and read it. You'll find that what I'm telling you is true. I am sincerely sorry if I've offended you, but I've found that it's a waste of time trying to tell people the truth when they think they already know the answer.

• Julien

If you're a beginner you can even *gain* muscle while losing fat.

If, on the contrary, you have already accumulated a large amount of muscle and you're already kind of lean, then you will necessarily lose a bit of muscle in the process and you just have to accept that fact. But if you train hard enough it could be a small loss, and then re-building this muscle later could be much easier than building it in the first place.

for every 1 pound of weight you lose, 1/4 of that is muscle, thats all I know.