My car engine oil is low so I added some Castro’s oil ( recommended from my dealership). Do I still need to have the oil totally drained?

Totally drained tho, as it’s overdue for a service. I topped up the old oil which was a different brand to Castrol. Thanks.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

The brand matters very little. What matters is to have it full. When the time comes to change the oil, that's when you choose one brand for the refill. I personnally don't like Castrol motor oil.

• M.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Castro's oil???!!

What is it?

Castor oil?

or

Castrol oil??

or

Something else oil???

An OIL CHANGE means to drain ALL oil (including remove the oil filter) and replace it. Why add a quart of new oil and then pretend that you accomplished something? You should have just drained the low oil and refilled with new oil.

• 6 months ago

Adding oil to bring it back to the correct level does not change your oil change intervals.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, you STILL Have to service the car and change oil and filters at the appropriate mileage. READ the owner's manual!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

If you are not changing your oil and filter every 3,000 miles and the oil was not checked and topped up every 1,000 miles the oil in the motor is junk and is breaking down and won't lubricate properly. That leads to the piston rings seizing on the pistons and the motor burning oil. The crankshaft and connecting rod bearings will also get worn which will cause a loss of oil pressure and lad to engine failure. Change the oil immediately and start checking it and changing it on time unless you like waking.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 6 months ago

You should have had the oil changed instead of adding oil if it was due anyway. And, yes, drain the oil if it's due or overdue, and don't forget to change the filter. Don't buy Fram.

(I didn't know Fidel and his brother were in the oil business)

• Erik
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

ha ha haaaaaaa

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes is the short answer.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes because the filter is due for a change too.

• LP7
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

total clean, all new same good quality oil

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

.. because the additives areNot identical! be Sure to use Correct Weight Oil for that exact vehicle & engine! changing oil & filter about every three thousand miles is good, and always check afterward the oil level, & that when the engine is running there areNot any leaks!

• Rick
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

if it's due, do it ..................................................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.