Can i register my car in another county?

Hi is it legal to register your car in another county that you dont live in and use a friends adress?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

NOT LEGALLY and why would you. Sounds dumb to me to even think about doing that. FOOLISH!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Why would you want to do that? If the vehicle is stolen it is returned to friends address and friend get a new car FOR FREE. Or, it will be "no one here by that name, sorry" and the cops now own a car for free.

. Just for those 2 reasons ALONE, people don't do that. I am not even including the TAX & TARIFF THING...because to drive in your home country it will have to be Registered and taxes paid at the border to bring it into your country PLUS it needs to be inspected (not a free service) and made to conform to your country emission control standards...so even more money is spent...just to make it legal in your country. You are talking about a lot of extra expenses you have to pay for. Not seeing an advantage.

• car253
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Depends on what county you are in.

• 6 months ago

That would be very illegal. It looks harmless on the surface, but it's actually a big deal.

When people play the address game, they're thinking it's an easy way to save a few bucks on taxes and / or insurance premiums. But they're not thinking about who else is known for playing the address game, or how serious it is.

How serious is it? Your registration and insurance documents are a form of identification, and must be shown to law enforcement upon request. If you show a cop your registration card with a bogus address, you just produced false evidence to a government official. That's a criminal offence in most jurisdictions.

And who else is famous for using false / multiple addresses, you ask? International terrorists, organized crime bosses, cartel smugglers, fugitives from the law, scam artists and human traffickers come to mind. And believe me, you don't even want to be slightly suspected of being any of the above.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

No. Of course it is not legal

• 6 months ago

No. You have no legal right (a visa) to live there.

• Anton
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Are you a stupid troll, or simply stupid?

No normal person is stupid enough to think it would be legal.

• 6 months ago

It needs to be registered where you actually drive it. You may get away with foreign registration temporarily, but it will catch up with you.

• 6 months ago

Not in the slightest. The registration for a car MUST be at the address of the owner's primary residence.

Anything else is a criminal violation.

• 6 months ago

No that is looked on as trying to gain through fraud.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.