Riley asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Would a rottweiler do well in a multidog home?

I have 3 dogs, a husky, german shepherd, and a collie. Would getting a rottie be a bad idea?

In my opinion 3 dogs are a bad idea unless you live on a 1,000 acre spread and farm, other than that your over your head.

• Ocimom

Personally I would not add that type of dog to your mix - too much dominate dogs you have now.

Prolly. Some no but most yes.

Too many 'iffs and buts' for us to comment.

It depends on the Rottweiler itself.

It depends on your other dogs temperaments.

It depends on all the dogs genders, and

It depends on your overall handling as an owner and trainer.

If there's any dog there that might cause a problem it is the collie. Rotts are not keen on the nervy type of temperament of a collie.

Should you try it, I think possibly NO as you've got enough dogs anyway.

Probably. Yep.

You have way too many dogs already. Are they all altered, up to date on shots AND licensed in your town? Most towns/cities the number of dogs you can have in your home without a facility license.

Plus who in their right mind would add a Rottweiler to a home that already has a Husky and a German Shepherd? How stupid are you?

It all depends on the temperament of the Rott. I certainly wouldn't attempt that. Introduce them on neutral ground & see how it goes. Many BYBed Rotts are dog on dog aggressive. If this one isn't, it may or may not work out. Pack instinct may totally reject a new dog.

I would not recommend it. Better left alone.

• denise

Do you have enough room?

Introducing a new dog / breed into your home could be tricky, consider this decision thoroughly.

You wouldn't have to feed him, but you'd need to buy new dogs (and occasionally remove fur balls).