alex asked in HealthOther - Health · 6 months ago

Do cigarettes dampen the effects of other stimulants?

I notice my heart rate go down and I don't feel as stimulated after I have a cigarette. Nicotine is a stimulant but might it take the place for/of other stimulants in me?

The stimulant effects of nicotine are dose-dependant simular to the effects of dopamine. These drugs have very different effects depending upon at what dose their given, even though they are technically classified as stimulants.

That's really depends upon what stimulant you're taking if you're taking a vascular dilator. A cigarette will help to counteract that stimulant. However if you're taking a vascular constrictor such as crystal meth and you have taken too much a cigarette will only make it worse!

anything is possible,i would stop smoking them before you get cancer

Nope.....but sometimes yes.

No, as a stimulant nicotine should accelerate other drugs in your system, just like caffeine does. That's why caffeine is added to some painkiller tablets, to increase the rate of uptake. By inducing tachycardia, any drugs entering the bloodstream should circulate faster. The effect is probably only a matter of minutes faster, however. There may be competition of receptors for some substances, though I'm not sure what other substances excite the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.