Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

Do landlords keep maintenance request on file?

My landlord has not fulfilled the request i have filed. more than 3 months ago. Its multiple request. must i file another one before i talk to a lawyer about breaking lease?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Yes. Every one would go into your file.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Where I live all maintenance requests are kept on the computer. This building was erected in 1968 and they have the maintenance history for each apartment in the building. They also keep records as to the replacement of appliances if that is the case.

When I request maintenance I do it online and the request stays online until the maintenance has been done. Some things are more serious than others and are done immediately; lower priority items can take a week or two.

Of course it doesn't really matter what our landlords do - it only matters what yours does. Is your landlord also the owner? If maintenance is needed why don't you make a note of the date you requested it and then follow up on the request once a week for two weeks if it isn't done. Then contact the owner.

Is this issue covered in your lease? Talk to the landlord and tell him that if the maintenance isn't done within a week you will have no option but to contact an attorney about breaking the lease.

JUST READ YOUR EARLIER QUESTION - Also be sure to tell the landlord that you will be contacting the rental company; they might decide not to make further referrals to him. Perhaps you would be better off renting in a decent apartment complex; I wouldn't even consider anything else just because of landlords like yours.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Don't waste your money on a lawyer. He will take great pleasure and lots of time in 'researching and consulting' only to tell you that you can't break a lease without financial penalties. If you are unhappy, move,

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The world is a big place with lots of laws that are different depending on where the landlord/tenant lives........... and some landlords are good, some bad exactly the same as tenants.... if the maintenance request was in writing and IF it is a breach of contract and IF the landlord has ignored a priorty repair/maintenance according to the law where you live then there is a possibility of a breach of contract and being released from the contract BUT most tenant maintenance priorities are not legal priorities and most tenants do not follow the law and request in writing and can prove they have.

So before you go spending money on legal/court, read your contract and also read the landlord /tenant law where you live, get together the proof you have of the written request ( copy and signed/opened proof of delivery)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Depends on the landlord. The good ones do, the bad ones shred them as soon as you leave.

• 6 months ago

Good well organized landlords keep a maintenance file. Many do not though & it is not legally required.

It is best to do another request & mail it certified so you have proof they got it.

• 6 months ago

Totally depends on the landlord.

You need to send them a certified letter stating that the issues mentioned in your initial maintenance request on (X Date) have not been resolved. In my experience, the only way to get through to shady landlords is with certified mail..because they then know you mean business...

• 6 months ago

some, some just throw them away, depends on how professional they are..

no chance to break the lease unless you make another request, LL can just claim 1st set accidentally lost.

you say you made ONE request 3 months ago, then say multiple, do you mean there were multiple issues within the one request (ie door, window, etc)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.