Transferring Unregistered Car California to Texas?

Parents are giving me an old car, hasnt been driven for a few years, didnt renew the registration since 2018. Car has california plates, I live in Texas, parents have since moved to Texas. If we sign the title over to my name can I just register it out here? or do i have to pay any fees to California.

I am not sure how this process works

Update:

California dmv says it owes 165 in fees, do i have to pay those? just their registration fees and stuff

6 Answers

Relevance
  • May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

First. "register" is just another word for "buy license plates". You can not register a vehicle in a place that you do not live. If you live in Texas, you will have to get a Texas title for the car and then "register" (buy license plates) the car. Getting a title and plates in Texas has nothing to do with California.

If California says you owe them $165. then I'd guess that you owe them $165.

• JetDoc
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Once you transfer title and registration to Texas, you don't have to pay anything to California

• 6 months ago

When family members change car titles to each other, there's no charge for that in California, except the expired registration should have been on "Planned Non-Operation" to avoid late penalties.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If the car is IN Texas, you can just go ahead and transfer the title and registration to Texas. You don't need to pay anything to California.

• 6 months ago

Thumbs to Anonymous, but add to support, how old is the car? There is a directive in the CA DMV code book, 4604(d)3, that exempts most old cars from having any back penalties due to not registering vehicles or not placing them in a "non-op" status. While CA is known for it's strict smog laws, CA doesn't have annual )or bi annua_l safety inspections on cars like most other states. The car is usually safety checked when purchasing from a dealer, but registering your passenger car or light-duty truck doesn't require a safety inspection like in other states.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Where is the car? If it is still in California then you've got a problem because it has to be inspected in Texas before it can be registered there. If it was brought to Texas when your parents moved, then no problem. The unpaid fees in California are your parents problem, not yours.

• P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes if they sign it over you can just register it in Texas. The will take the CA title away so make copies of everything. You will need to provide current proof of insurance so make sure you have that done before you try to register it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.