Why do some people urge others to drink alcohol?

Most people know that alcohol is bad, yet surprisingly they think everybody should drink in certain situations.

The thing is that, in most social events I've been to (including family meals, going out with friends...), people have encouraged me to drink one or several alcoholic drinks. After telling them I don't like alcohol, most people would look at me in a weird way or say something like "come on, you'll feel happier after it / you won't even notice it!".

People have also called me a loser for refusing to drink alcohol, and some "friends" urged me once to drink because they wanted to see my real self (that is, drunk). In a family meal, I was served sparks wine, and I added water to it because I don't like how it tastes. Immediately, a lady told me: "what a pity! It tastes delicious and you're spoiling it!".

Seriously people, I don't like the way alcoholic drinks taste, and I don't need it to flirt or have more fun. I have never told anybody to stop drinking because it's none of my business. Why can't people accept that some of us don't like alcohol because it tastes awful and we don't like the effect it has in on our body and mind?

A wise man once said to me, "What you think of me is none of my business".

In other words, do not worry about what they think or what they want you to do. You do whatever is right for you, smile and continue with your life.

• Zirp

Because they are weaklings. They drink to "fit in" and either assume that you need it to fit in too, or think you don't have the right to be "better" than they

It's odd that some people would not buy you a cheap hamburger, but they will give you a beer.

Nothing wrong with drinking in moderation, but no one should be pressured into drinking alcohol if they do not want to.

That being your personal choice, stand by it. It your right not to drink, the same as it is the right for one who wants to drink.

• Blonde

I think they don’t want to drink alone. Occasionally, if at a restaurant, I may have a mixed drink or two with a meal if my guy does, too. I also like champagne sometimes, the sweet kind. It makes me giddy, lol. Maybe three or four times a year I may drink...beer and hard liquor makes my stomach sick, I have to have my drink mixed with juice AND be in the mood. Straight liquor burns, and not worth it. I’ll have a diet soda instead, most of time. :)

• Lili

Alcohol is not "bad" in moderation. Medical studies have even shown that moderate drinking is good for the health.

That said, people urge others to drink largely because they feel that people who are NOT drinking are judging them -- implying that drinking alcohol IS bad. They want everyone else to do what they do.

If you feel confident in your choices, you should not be disturbed by this. Just ignore it. Or else hang out with people who don't drink.

You do sound rather judgmental, by the way. You need to do something about that.

As for adding water to wine, you shouldn't bother, because you really are ruining it. Either you drink it as it was intended to be drunk, or you don't drink it at all. It sounds as though you would simply prefer not to drink it at all, and that's just fine. The ancient Romans added water to wine, but it was much stronger in their day.

A lot of people drink socially, perhaps you noticed that? It's become a social thing to do over the last 1500 years or so. That's why some people urge others to partake.

Was that your whole question?