Why do some people urge others to drink alcohol?

Most people know that alcohol is bad, yet surprisingly they think everybody should drink in certain situations. The thing is that, in most social events I've been to (including family meals, going out with friends...), people have encouraged me to drink one or several alcoholic drinks. After telling them I... show more Most people know that alcohol is bad, yet surprisingly they think everybody should drink in certain situations.

The thing is that, in most social events I've been to (including family meals, going out with friends...), people have encouraged me to drink one or several alcoholic drinks. After telling them I don't like alcohol, most people would look at me in a weird way or say something like "come on, you'll feel happier after it / you won't even notice it!".

People have also called me a loser for refusing to drink alcohol, and some "friends" urged me once to drink because they wanted to see my real self (that is, drunk). In a family meal, I was served sparks wine, and I added water to it because I don't like how it tastes. Immediately, a lady told me: "what a pity! It tastes delicious and you're spoiling it!".

Seriously people, I don't like the way alcoholic drinks taste, and I don't need it to flirt or have more fun. I have never told anybody to stop drinking because it's none of my business. Why can't people accept that some of us don't like alcohol because it tastes awful and we don't like the effect it has in on our body and mind?