How come his charge is assault and battery against family member and not felony strangulation?

(Virginia) me and my ex boyfriend had a argument and he came up from behind me and started strangling me. Threw me on the bed and strangled me so hard that I couldn't breathe. I called the police and told them what happened. I didn't have any marks on me but I did sound hoarse to the officer. They arrested him and gave me a emergency protection order. I noticed on my subpoena as a witness it has a charge of assault and battery on a family member but not as a strangulation. Why is that?

Strangulation IS a form of assault and battery.

Perhaps your state criminal code does not have a separate felony that consists of strangulation. If you have such a law, perhaps it requires the prosecutor to prove the specific intent to kill. There are many possible explanations.

"My ex boyfriend and I" not me and my ex.

• Maxi

Because the charge of charge of assault and battery legally covers what you describe

If the vibes are just right I can read police officers' minds. Oh darn it... the vibes are not just right.

I think I know why. What color are you?