A controversial historical event or person?

I need to write about a historical event or person. An example we were given is the controversy of whether Christopher Columbus really discovered America or not. It doesn’t have to be American history it can be world history. I hate history and can’t come with anything myself and the things I’ve found on google aren’t really historical but simply controversial.

Any event that happened in the past of human significance is historical, The results of a football game from last night is not historical. pick an event ANY event , research it and write your article..

Source(s): Instructor for many years

Martin Luther. Luther started the Protestant Reformation, which broke the power of the Catholic Church, but he also inadvertently sparked the Peasant's War of 1535, and then called for their brutal suppression. He hated Jews and his new movement immediately split into warring sects.

• Bear

The Newport Rising in 1839.

That's Newport,Wales.

I'd take a look at this current movement to strip some soldiers of their Medals of Honor. We're in danger of re-writing history these days with things like that, taking down statues, eliminating topics from schools, etc. Point is, and historians know this, AT THAT TIME, what these people did won them the highest honors. Same thing with all the conquests of Europe, in the Roman Empire days, Middle Ages, etc. We can't properly judge acts from hundreds of years ago by today's standards. People, cultures change. You have to view, and respect, events in the context of the circumstances that were present at that time.

Saint Junípero Serra (November 24, 1713 – August 28, 1784) was a Roman Catholic Spanish priest and friar of the Franciscan Order who founded a mission in Baja California and the first nine of 21 Spanish missions in California from San Diego to San Francisco, in what was then Alta California in the Province of Las Californias, New Spain. The New York Times noted that some "Indian historians and authors blame Father Serra for the suppression of their culture and the premature deaths at the missions of thousands of their ancestors."

• Stella
  • rmm

Captain Cook and his dealings with the Hawaiians. I don't know much about it all (I don't care for history either) but from what I remember from "tourist history" he friended the Hawaiians who thought he was a God or immortal, but then I they killed him when they discovered he was "just a man".

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/captai...

On February 14, 1779, Captain James Cook, the great English explorer and navigator, is murdered by natives of Hawaii during his third visit to the Pacific island group.