Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 11 months ago

How was the American industry able to produce over 500,000 trucks during WW2? That is madness?

I studied the economic side of WW2 and I read that America was able to produce over 500,000 trucks and nearly 80,000 was sent to Soviet Union! this is why in late stages of the war 1944-45 the Soviets were able to advance so fast and catch up to the retreating Germans who were still heavily reliant on horses. Even honest generals like Zhukov and Rokosovsky later said that had it not been for American trucks the liberation of Eastern Europe would have been delayed for nearly a year.

America also provided Britain with over 100,000 trucks! most of which was used in North Africa! this is why the British were able to get the supplies out to their troops so much quicker than the Germans who again had to rely on horses (mostly).

If someone tells me that even during a war time a country is able to produce 500,000 trucks I will tell that person that they are mad! that they see ghosts! this simply cannot be possible.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

Mass Production and it worked because the vehicles were used by the military during the war.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

In the years between 1940 and 1945 how many civilian cars were produced?

How do those numbers relate to the periods leading up to and after the war?

Madness.

@kilmouskey

A series of (un-cited) non-sequiturs which back up my answer – useful input bro.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

In 1941, U.S. vehicle production was 3.6M. Regular vehicle production continued until 9 Feb. '42., with less than 1.15M being produced. Numbers didn't match '41 production until 1949, although 1946 models began production in July, '45. .

• Athena
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

We had the manufacturing might and the people trained to do it.

Neither ToJo or Hitler thought the Americans were much of a threat though Hitler was mad as hell with Tojo attacked Hawaii and brought America into the war.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

No, he wasn't. The subsequent Axis declaration on the U.S. only formally acknowledged the "undeclared" was the U.S. had waged against Germany virtually from the day the U.K. started the war.

• 11 months ago

Because American Industry was able to quickly and efficently convert factories that produced civilian goods into making military equipment. In 1942, nearlly all automobile factories were producing tanks, planes, trucks, ect.. A lot of house hold products such appliances, funature, and many more were not produced during this time.

If I remember right. America was able to convert about 70% of it's industry to military production by early 1944.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Just because the number is bigger than you can imagine it proves nothing.

• 11 months ago

I'd stop short of calling people mad if history shows it to be true. But it does seem inconceivable the scale of it - glad it wasn't my assignment to make it happen!

• blu
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

The US was a giant in industry prior to the war. The saying goes, Japan woke the sleeping giant's isolationism at Pearl. The US had the resources all along giving it a huge advantage. The machine shifted to high gear. Many factories were temporarily converted to facilitate the war effort. All that realignment in a timely fashion is a tribute to America's versatility under duress.

• 11 months ago

Think that's impressive? Look up the story of the "Liberty Ship," a 440-foot long 14,000 ton cargo vessel vital to the war effort. Over 2,500 were built during the war, an average of THREE ships every TWO days.

As for the "how," it was one simple word "commitment." American industries and people rallied behind the war effort. Companies ceased making products not related to military support and many of those who couldn't serve went to work in factories.

Another oft-overlooked reason was the influx of women into the industrial workforce, legions of whom left the home and farms and were immortalized by "Rosie the Riveter." While American industries lost most of its able bodied men to the war effort, the contributions of female workers allowed the to keep producing without missing a beat.

• Killmouseky
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

The Ford Motor Co. plant in Willow Run, Michigan was turning out a completed B-24 bomber every 63 minutes.

• 11 months ago

this is how we escaped the depression, selling war supplies

• Mark
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Because almost every company that had manufacturing capabilites switched to "war-time production". That's why there were no new cars in the early 1940s, or washing machines, to name just TWO things.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.