Caroline asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Any ideas for getting my dog to pee when he has his cone on?

To give reference, I can't just take the cone off. I wish I could. It took 2 people and a LOT of failed efforts to get that thing on him. I live alone and don't have anyone to help me, without calling people to my house for help multiple times a day whenever he goes to the restroom. The usual commands aren't working, and I think it's because he can't smell to pee on things.

• Ocimom

Just take him out more often and crate or kennel him inside. Sooner or later he will pee and poop.

simply take the dog out enough Cos wearing a cone does not affect its ability to urinate either eh

• Caroline5 months agoReport

Right...but, it had an impact on him CHOOSING to urinate, unfortunately. He likes to walk right alongside bushes and turn his head, sniff, then pee...this blocked his routine. I think he felt nervous outside too skth a limited range of vision. Inflatable collars didn't keep him from his back foot

I asked my Vet this question and he said the collar could come off as long as I was closely supervising the dog. He did wear an inflatable cone at night when I was sleeping.

Those plastic collars were impossible to keep on my low to ground hounds - for the size of their neck, they have to have a big one, which basically acted as a scoop or banged on the ground, scaring them to death. Roll collar every time, with mine. Or you might try rolling up a thick towel to go round the neck. I'd be concerned about not urinating because that could add to whatever is the need for a plastic collar!!

We only ever made it to the car, from the vet, before these collars came off. I was fortunate to be home with myl surgery-recovering patients, so for the most part, a collar wasn't needed.

I guess he is neutered. Intact dogs often will MARK at the "drop of a hat" cone, or no cone. However, having used cones I still have NO IDEA why it is your theory the dog can t pee because he can t sniff the GROUND. I have never seen or had a cone collar -that did NOT allow the dog to LOWER its head. - So how exactly (if that is the case) does he EAT out of his food bowl or DRINK any water? <BINGO!>

So now we have "dis-abused" that theory, we know -that is not the problem! Take him out more often & walk him by bushes and/or tree trunks or a fire hydrant. His smell capacity is over 700 TIMES what YOUR IS. If you take him BY something (other dogs are LIKELY to have PEED on) - he will.

You can also (very temporarily) increase the salt in his diet by giving him some fried "pork rinds" (aka chicharrones) or by adding a beef or chicken BULLION cube (dissolved in his food bowl. More salt = more water consumption..... and an INCREASED "NEED" to VOID.

• Caroline5 months agoReport

But that makes sense about his nose being stronger. I'll try walking him by where other dots may have gone

I hate those plastic E Collars so I am using an inflatable e collar.

Here are some images of some of them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inflatable+e+colla...

Why does he need an E Collar? Neuter? Surgery?

I would get that dog into some Obedience training. To have to fight a dog just to put a collar on is redictulous. The dog should allow you to do anything to it , for it.

What size is the dog? Must be large breed if you had to fight to get the collar on. How long has the dog had the collar on? It is hard to watch as the get used to wearing the collar.

My dog has skin cancer with all kinds of growths & I cannot allow her to lick the eruptions cause she starts them into just dripping blood. When there aren't any eruption open & bleeding, I do take the collar off until she starts another one into just dripping blood.

He will eventually pee, he can't hold it forever. Those damned collars are hard for a dog to adjust to. The inflated ones allow the dog to see what is around it but she can't get her head to her stomach area.

• Caroline5 months agoReport

He has to have a collar because he was bit on the back leg by a snake, and I need to keep him from licking his foot.

He's well trained. Best dog I've ever had and normally does anything I ask. It isn't an obedience issue, he'd just had his foot bitten by a snake and that he's was kinda freaked out

Just try taking him out more frequently to avoid any accidents.

• Jack H

With many sighthounds, cones are rarely if ever used, usually a thick padded collar is the way to go the dog can still see OK, nowhere near as unsettling, but still preventing it from chewing at stitches...

Try this one on Amazon,

Roll over image to zoom in

Emwel Pet Inflatable Collar for Dogs and Cats

• Caroline5 months agoReport

I already tried that first so he could see/have a better range of mobility. I have tried an inflatable collar but as it was his back foot, it did not work to keep him from licking it

• Maxi

Cones disorientate many dogs and make them feel vunerable, when a dog is going to the toilet they need to feel safe/secure as they feel are vunerable to being attacked ( which is why puppies often take several weeks before they toilet away from the safety of their own home)

The dog can smell with the cone on so it is because it feels unsafe not because it can't smell.

Unfortuneately you have already had issues with putting the cone on however are you really keeping the cone on 24/7 and for how long do you intend to 'inflict' the dog with wearing a cone vets tell people to leave the cone on, as it ensures the dog doesn't chew at stitches/damage the area further, however they know little to nothing about other behaviour issues they cause which can inflict the dog long term with it losing its confidence around other dogs or the increase in likelihood of attacks by other dogs to dogs wearing cones.

I will not have my dogs in a cone, they are trained to wear one 'just in case', same as they are crate trained 'just in case' however depending on where the 'injury' is, if on the main body of the dog I would look at purchasing a medical /thunder shirt and using that instead again the shirts change the feeling in the dog, so it is a case of putting it on, praise, taking it off, praise and doing that several times before leaving it on for any length of time....... you could try an old t shirt and knotting up any access of fabric...but you should not leave a dog alone when wearing them

• Maxi

Maybe a toddlers sock secured by tape at the top would help, but you need to take it off daily so it gets air

Leave him outside till he pees, he cant hold it forever

• Caroline5 months agoReport

I don't want to risk infecting him by leaving him outside...plus, that seems unsafe for him since his vision is so limited, and it prohibits him from moving around well