Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 5 months ago

Tips for traveling with an elderly parent?

I am having to move across the country with my elderly father, and he is in poor health. He is terrified of getting on an airplane, but driving that far is out of the question for many reasons. We are going to have to travel by plane. He is voicing considerable objection to moving simply because he is too scared to fly, however moving to where we are moving is necessary. I feel helpless and overwhelmed, and I worry that the plane ride will cause him extreme distress and send him into a panic or some kind of emergency health concern landing or something.

Anyone who has traveled by plane with a reluctant elderly parent, please provide me some tips on how to make this transition easier for both of us?

Visit his doctor with him to inquire about medication that might reduce his stress. Then make sure you arrange with the airline to have a wheelchair available to him at both ends of the trip.

• A C

Take trains and/or buses.

I think letting the train take the strain is by FAR the best way to go. It's all there, bed, facilities, food etc. It might be quicker to fly, but why put the old chap through that, if you don't need to?

Take the train in a sleeper car. Bed, bathroom in the room, and meals in the dining car. Rail travel is smooth and the trip is quicker than driving because trains run around the clock and do not have stop signs. This costs more than an airplane, but as a one-time expense your father is worth it. If you must fly, go first class; and have his doctor give him some pills to relax.

• Verulam.. 1

^^ Your best answer!

• mokrie

Speak to his doctor and see if the doctor can get him a very mild tranquilizer to take before he goes on the plane. Also ask what you can do to help him make it through the airport like use the wheel chairs available.