If you have a smoke fire in your apartment from your stove(no flames; just smoke) should you pull the fire alarm?

This happened to me recently where I was cooking on the stove and fell asleep. I woke up to the smoke alarm in my unit. There was smoke everywhere in the kitchen, I could barely see what was going on. I was able to turn the element off, and move the pot off of the element onto another element and pulled the fire... show more This happened to me recently where I was cooking on the stove and fell asleep. I woke up to the smoke alarm in my unit.

There was smoke everywhere in the kitchen, I could barely see what was going on. I was able to turn the element off, and move the pot off of the element onto another element and pulled the fire alarm in the hallway.

Turns out it actually melted the bottom of the stainless steel pot right off. And I had it on low simmering for several hours.

It melted the stainless steel pot. Melted the bottom of it right off. Ruined both front elements.

Was it unnecessary for me to pull the fire alarm? I had another tenant complain about people pulling fire alarms for a little bit of smoke; so that is why I am asking.
Update: But even if there aren't any flames, don't you think it would be a concern if the electrical connections for the stove elements were melted? Or if there were any smoke damage to the oven itself? Or any smoke damage in the apartment? Cause the fire marshall ordered that an electrician come in to check the... show more But even if there aren't any flames, don't you think it would be a concern if the electrical connections for the stove elements were melted? Or if there were any smoke damage to the oven itself? Or any smoke damage in the apartment? Cause the fire marshall ordered that an electrician come in to check the stove out...