Required lessons from a professional instructor for my driver's license?

If I turn 17 1/2 a month or two after I receive my permit, can I get by without taking two-hour lessons from a professional instructor? I read that in California (where I live), you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older. Does that apply only to the date you get your... show more If I turn 17 1/2 a month or two after I receive my permit, can I get by without taking two-hour lessons from a professional instructor? I read that in California (where I live), you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older. Does that apply only to the date you get your permit?

In other words: Can I skip the lessons and move on to practicing 50 hours with my parent?
Update: Since I apparently wasn't clear enough: My question is about *after* I get my permit, not if I can bypass driver's ed for my permit; I've completed that already. "...you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older." Yes, I read this, but I wanted to... show more Since I apparently wasn't clear enough: My question is about *after* I get my permit, not if I can bypass driver's ed for my permit; I've completed that already.

"...you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older." Yes, I read this, but I wanted to know if it would still apply to me if I turned 17 1/2 *after* I get my permit. Other sites say anyone under 18 must take 6 hours of drivers training from a professional instructor.

Hence my question.