Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 3 months ago

Required lessons from a professional instructor for my driver's license?

If I turn 17 1/2 a month or two after I receive my permit, can I get by without taking two-hour lessons from a professional instructor? I read that in California (where I live), you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older. Does that apply only to the date you get your permit?

In other words: Can I skip the lessons and move on to practicing 50 hours with my parent?

Since I apparently wasn't clear enough: My question is about *after* I get my permit, not if I can bypass driver's ed for my permit; I've completed that already.

"...you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older." Yes, I read this, but I wanted to know if it would still apply to me if I turned 17 1/2 *after* I get my permit. Other sites say anyone under 18 must take 6 hours of drivers training from a professional instructor.

Hence my question.

• Edna

If lessons from a professional driving instructor were required, you wouldn't have been issued a "permit" in the first place.

• May

You wrote: "...you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older." What part of that is not clear to you?

Why do you insist on making a simple thing complicated? If all else fails, Ask the California DMV to clear this up for you cupcake

< I read that in California (where I live), you aren’t required to take any professional driving lessons if you're 17 1/2 or older. >

Well then, it must be the gospel.

• Ron

Why is it such a struggle to understand

• If you are 15½ –17½ years old, you will need to provide proof that you:

— Completed driver education (Certificate of Completion of Driver

Education) OR

— Are enrolled and participating in an approved integrated driver

education/driver training program (Certificate of Enrollment in

an Integrated [Classroom] Driver Education and Driver Training

Program).

update: perhaps reading comprehension classes? This is an OR situation. If you completed drivers ed you don't need driving lessons

The California Driver Handbook, page 12 first paragraph states: "If you are at least 17½ years old, you may obtain a permit without completing driver education or driver training. However, you cannot get a DL before you are 18 years old.

You must practice with a licensed California driver: parent, guardian, driving instructor, spouse, or adult 25 years old or older. A provisional permit does not allow you to drive alone at any time, not even to a DMV field office to take a driving test.

So there's your choice. Take driver training and get your provisional learners permit a little sooner and possibly get your provisional driver's license before age 18, or wait until you're 17 1/2 to get a provisional learners permit and wait until you're 18 to take the road test get a provisional license.

There is one very good reason to take a Driver Education course - insurance will be cheaper than if you don't. Your parents will be happier about that.

Source(s): CA Driver Handbook https://www.dmv.ca.gov/web/eng_pdf/dl600.pdf

i would ask the dmv all these questions

That could be a good question. Just like a DMV to use the permit date, but surely you could correctly argue that you are in fact 17-1/2 as you stand before them.

Professional instruction would be a great idea except for the cost. Be sure to wait 50 hours before going down for your test. I can see you now: a floral display along the side of the rud.