Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 5 months ago

Will there be a backstop in the Brexit deal?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The people of Ireland will accept nothing less

• Fenian Rising
      Lv 6
      5 months agoReport

Thanks for blocking me armouror I'll take that as a complement and that you are a weak individual

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

We are leaving with no deal.

• 5 months ago

Once the political balance has shifted in Parliament, the government can create a solution, e.g. a sea customs border - it's all a big fuss really

• 5 months ago

I wish I could understand why having a hard border again between Eire and N.Ireland is called a 'backstop'???

• ...Show all comments
    • Jack H
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Etc and an on going payment for partial membership. The hard brexiteers do not like this, but they can't come up with any *real world* solutions to the problem created by the good Friday agreement which ensures an open border. They just keep rambling about technological solutions, untried ones...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

The EU has said they won’t budge on the Irish backstop even if the UK crashes out of the Union. So if Britain leaves on a Hard Brexit any future negotiations will still involve an insurance for an Irish frictionless border.

It’s important to remember The Backstop is an insurance policy and if the UK can come up with a workable policy that will insure that there will be no friction at the border between Northern and Southern Ireland then the Backstop will no longer be required.

The problem is, such a policy may take many years before it becomes workable and the technology required becomes available at a cost effective price.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.