Do women stop producing estrogen entirely during menopause or do the ovaries just decline in production?

I am asking due to a loved one that will be undergoing a hysterectomy with possible ovary removal. She's 50 yrs old and is currently in premenopause I believe; hasn't has a period in about 3 months so I suspect her estrogen is currently declining. What worries me is after the surgery she'll experience... show more I am asking due to a loved one that will be undergoing a hysterectomy with possible ovary removal. She's 50 yrs old and is currently in premenopause I believe; hasn't has a period in about 3 months so I suspect her estrogen is currently declining. What worries me is after the surgery she'll experience an estrogen shock, complete lackof, when that would've never happened witnout the surgery. Insight please
Update: also, pls tell elaborate on any existing connection with the hysterectomy/removing ovaries and cancer/heart disease/osteoporosis?