Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

do all parents just do the required minimum by the state?

never went to the doctor

never asked about life or tried to make things better

never teaching life skills or how things work/how to get by when becoming an adult

never available to help out - unless its something they can tell people about

just how it is?

• Zirp

Outside dystopian novels, no

Most parents will do the best they can

No, you may have bad parent or you may be expecting too much. A strange thing to me being at least a little older than you if not as old as your parents is I hear this compliment often; "Nobody asks me about my day or takes an interest in my funny stickers collection..." etc the way you said "...never asked about life or tried to make things better never teaching life skills..." Well did you ask to be?

I hear a strange entitlement where one just expects every need to be met perfectly on cue without making those needs known. Even the best parents aren't that good. Well trained therapists know how to pull it out of you but they can only take the horse to water, not force it to drink.

If you want someone to listen to you about your day, ask them to. Build the relationship with your parents and others where that trust and fidelity can be made and maintained. The problem is, I think your parents didn't know that either. They also expected everyone to love them and everyone did not. They were special just the way they are so there was no reason to change.