HMFan
HMFan asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

"By accident" or "on accident"?

When did people start using the phrase "on accident"? Does this annoy anyone else? In this case the "by" is synonymous with "via" or "because of" as in "he died by drowning." One would never say "he died on drowning" or "he died on asphyxiation"

Children sometimes say "on accident" by analogy with "on purpose." Very clever of them to extrapolate, but it's incorrect.

• Ben

I would guess the first.

Of course the standard expression is 'by accident'.

I don't think I've heard or seen 'on accident' but other, similar mistakes are commonly made either by speakers of other languages, or by native speakers momentarily getting confused with a similar phrase and using the wrong preposition without realising it.

• Pyrus

"By accident". "On accident" is wrong grammar. If anything, you could say "On occasion", but never "On accident". Come to think of it, I've never heard anyone use this term like this (incorrectly) before.

"on accident" is incorrect grammar, slang.

I don't know where or how it started. I don't believe it is exclusive to any particular group. I've heard it in many places in the U.S. from many different types of people.

• Bob

Who says "on accident??" If you find them, send them my way for a stern talking to.

By accident is correct.

• Lôn

By accident is the correct one...I've never heard the term 'on accident'....EVER!