Why do I always get strung along and outsmarted when it comes to promotion?

Im so frustrated. My whole life I’m the guy everyone saddles with all of the work but I never get to move up the ladder while people who just start jump the line. The insulting thing is I speak up but get mollified with sops, blackmail and lies.

Everyone says you’re supposed to work your way up the ladder but I always get played.

So ask yourself if you got promoted to that next level, what would you be required to do? Lead and manage others? Do you have the skills to do that effectively? Or are you particularly good at the job you do now, and do not know how to influence/manipulate/extort cooperation from others? Is that kind of job what you really want? Know that middle managers are the first ones to get canned when there is a recession and the company needs to cut back. The skills you have now, at your lower level job, should keep you employed even if all those kids who skip on ahead end up getting laid off.

dude.......working to get ahead, is the suckers game.

If you are not brown nosing the boss...............forget it.

You'll get a couple of "atta boys"......a pat on the back here or there.......but the clown complimenting the boss every meeting gets the corner office. That's just life...........

that's why I stopped that game, and became my OWN boss. I got tired of doing a stellar job, while watching some little Hilter wanna-be , brown noser get promoted.

When I was in the Navy, I won the HIGHEST award there was to win in my rate. A singular , rare career Honor..........and ya know who got promoted? The little cookie who was banging the chief on the side.

I got a nice letter of commendation.........which wasn't Worth the paper it was printed on .

She got the promotion and pay raise for doing nothing, except blowing the guy.

That's the reality of life.

You are not doing a good enough job, clearly.

I always got promoted when I worked. Your tendency to blame others does not help.

• Robert

If it is happening over and over by the same employer, time to move to a different company where your talents will be appreciated. If you've asked many times you must have been given some reason why you are passed over. If it is realistic, correct your deficits. If it is not have a heart to heart with the boss and then determine if you have a future. Maybe you need a change of scenery.

You cannot be blackmailed if you aren't doing anything wrong...you used the word blackmail...not me.

You need to figure out the game...that's why you aren't advancing. Whatever that game is in your current job, learn to play it. Those people jumping you...how are they doing it? Figure that out and use the same techniques...

• Alex

People (usually) get promoted based on management's assessment of their ability to do the job they are getting promoted into, not necessarily how well they do the job they are currently in. So, be thinking in terms of the job you want to get promoted to, and demonstrate qualities that will make you effective in that role.

I know this is a bit generic, but it's the best I could go on based on the fact that I know nothing about you or your company.