Excel or other application- totaling 0.00?

I have a list of amounts in Excel, is there a formula or a way (other than manually playing with the amounts) to calculate if any of the amounts total 0.00?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

What you wish to do seems to simulate applying a customer remittance to open invoices, if the customer does not specify what is being paid. DEBS's answer is succinct and to the point. VBA could be utilized, but based on the number of entries to evaluate, that could even be problematic.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

To clarify, I believe you want to have it pick and choose cells that equal zero. If you have a list of 5 values, what combination gets you zero. If that is what you are looking for, the answer to my knowledge is no. If you have a small number of values you may be able to write a formula evaluating them, but even that would get difficult given the different combinations possible. VBA would have to be used, but again if you list is long it may still be a problem.

• 6 months ago

If column A holds the number values, you can put this in column B

=IF(A1="0.00","Zero","") copy this down the B column.

This formula will look in the A column for the amount "0.00" If there is, it will put "Zero" in the B Column. If there is another number, the cell will be blank. You can then scan down the B column for the Zero amounts easily.

• 6 months ago

How does that work?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Use an IF THEN statement

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.