65 year old woman at work spits poison at us in the office?

We can't do right. Once, she told me she didn't like the managers I worked for and even when I asked how she was once she glared at me in hate. She's done this to others in the office too, but to her own manager she treats him beautifully. Another secretary offered to help her with her workload and she barked back, "NO, I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP". She's like a Jekyll and Hyde character. What possibly could be wrong with her? You'd think we were asking her when the last time she had sex or something!

• Alan H

Why not simply ignore it?

tell her about retirement

I'd only be bothered if she spat her poison at me. If I was in a bad mood myself I might be inclined to say to her 'Have you heard yourself? Are you ALWAYS so horrible with everyone around you? What is the matter with you?' I expect it would cause an argument but she might be a bit less awful to you in the future. Perhaps the job is her only joy and at 65 she's heading for retirement and is frightened of having nothing else in her life but the work she does. How can any of us know?