Can you wash fake leather in the washing machine?

I have a fake leather backpack and I'm wondering if it would be ok to put it in the washing machine. I don't want it to fall apart or anything.

Favorite Answer

If, as you say, it's fake leather there shouldn't be a problem. Select a low heat and a medium spin and it should be fine. Air dry it as tumble drying may damage it.

If it is smooth fake leather, then I would wipe it out with a moist cloth with soap. If it is suede leather finish, then I would not even do THAT MUCH. More like dry brush it clean. Maybe use some neutral shoe polish from the hockey puck containers you can buy at a shoe store or grocery store(some stores). Neutral polish will take off the black marks on light color shoes. The neutral polish cleans it right up.(whether it is pee yellow, white,light grey, light tan or red colored)

Washing machine could DESTROY IT. Hopefully you bought 2 of them.

. I know it destroyed my fake leather cowboy boots. My real leather boots do not like puddles or snow wetness...so I avoid water with BOTH.

Look for the tag with cleaning instructions but I seriously doubt fake leather will do well in a washing machine.

• Nancy

The washing machine isn't a great idea. Its agitation could ruin it. If for you're unwilling to simply wash it by hand, you'd be better off putting it in the dishwasher with the heat dry function turned off afterwards.

• Lv 5

Very bad idea. Dishwasher detergent is far too aggressive for fabrics.

the only way you could find out is by doing it