What kind of computer should I get?

I've been trying to shop for computers but my mind can't wrap around a lot of the specs of the computers I'm looking at. I'm going to be using the computer for internet research for my podcast, Microsoft Office and not much more. I don't need anything so crazy as a quality gaming PC but I do... show more I've been trying to shop for computers but my mind can't wrap around a lot of the specs of the computers I'm looking at.

I'm going to be using the computer for internet research for my podcast, Microsoft Office and not much more. I don't need anything so crazy as a quality gaming PC but I do want something moderately fast and possibly some protective software to go with it.

A: should I get a laptop or a desktop? I'm not sure of the differences other than portability and I'm not planning on moving it.

B: Should I invest in protective software? I'm going to heavily surf the internet, however I'm going to do my best to stick to trusted sites.

Thanks in advance for all help!