Dude
Lv 4
Dude asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

riding lawn mower running slow, not reving up and smoking?

I have a riding craftsman lawn mower that was sitting for about a year.

I went to start it today noticed the above symptoms.

After it started, took the choke off and engine still behaved like it still had the choke on.

What could be the cause? Bad gas?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • y
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

More likley crap in the carb. Get some of that fuel treatment/cleaner crap that you mix with the fuel. There are many kinds out there and it seems everyone swears by this or that and hates the other.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Make darn sure that the thing has oil in it. Change the gas and then started up and let it run it should stop smoking in a little while oil has probably trickled in to the piston it should burn off in a few minutes you might even have to replace the spark plug if the plug got oil fouled

• Dze
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

maybe, thats probably the best guess .. i have a craftsman thats a handmedown from my dad .. he had it about 15 years and ive had it over 10 now .. original motor, the decks been replaced and overhauled a couple of times but it still runs great .. but earlier this month it went to smoking all over the place bad .. i thought it was blown .. turns out it had a TON of garbage grass and dirt caked up under the shroud around the cylinder ...cleaned out enough to fill a couple of 5 gallon buckets no kidding .. might be worth a look ...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.