How to get out of this house?

After my mother died a year ago, I put my name on her house. I have to pay property taxes for a year and a half from now before I can sell it. Is there any other way to get out of it? The house was built by my family a very long time ago so it's old and falling apart. I don't have the money to flip it.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

Who says you have to pay the taxes? Are they back taxes not paid yet? If so, see if you can get them paid as part of closing.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • G R
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Sell it as is or get roommates

• 11 months ago

You don't "put your name" on the home, the estate administrator deeds the property to you. If you have to wait 18 months to sell due to a restriction, I think you would be exempt because you inherited the property.

• 11 months ago

If you prepay property taxes you will get that money back when you sell the place. Not sure why you'd have to pay them that far in advance but the money will be reimbursed by the buyer.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

It makes no sense that you cannot sell it now for taxes you will owe in the future, in the next year and a half. And there are never any requirements that you flip a house after you own it. You own it so you can sell it. Price it accordingly, or tell the realtor the problems with it and ask her what you might get for it. If you owe taxes on it, lower the price accordingly.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

You can sell it any time you want. The 2 yr. residency requirement doesn't apply to inherited property.

• 11 months ago

Why did you put your name on it, as opposed to selling way back when??

Sell it as is. People are always looking for fix-it-uppers @ a bargain.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Who had told you that you can't sell and why ?

• P
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

If you can quickly sell it cheap before it goes to a tax auction they can apply part of the proceeds toward the taxes owed.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Can you put tenants in for the 18 months? A letting agent would be able to set that up, for a fee of course. Fees should be tax deductible.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.