Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 6 months ago

why do my bicycle tire tubes keep getting punctures that come in pairs, with 2 parallel slits that are about 1/4 in. long and 1/4 in. apart?

Are people doing it to me with some sort of tool while I park my bicycle and go shopping?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Well, we all agree.... too low of tire pressure.

In cycling before you get on your bike your should check brakes, handle bars, and TIRE PRESSURE. If low, add air before you start out.

Soccerref

• 6 months ago

Inflate your tires to the full advertised pressure. If you still get snakebites after than you need fatter tires. I'll add that if this is happening while you're parked, then you're probably hopping the curb to get to your parking spot. Quite often, the impact damages the tube but takes anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two to rupture.

• 6 months ago

As two others have suggested, chances are your tires are under-inflated. When you roll across a big bump or through a pothole, the rim comes crashing down on the tube creating two parallel slits that look like a snakebite.

Air pressure should be checked at least once a week. In high pressure road bike tires before every single ride. Depending on your own weight and load carried on the bike, you needn't go up to the maximum. Let's say the recommended pressure is between 50 to 70 psi. You may find that 60 psi in the front & 65 in the rear may ride the best for you. You have to experiment. Got a good home use floor pump? If not, get one.

Attachment image
  • 6 months ago

Pinch flats. Check your tire pressure more often and make sure that they are fully inflated

• ...Show all comments
    • Mtrlpqbiker
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You are correct of course, but someone who seldom checks their tires should inflate to full pressure, it will take longer before pressure drops low enough to cause pinch flats

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because the spokes inside of your tire have stretched overtime the spokes are poking holes in your tires. You can try first removing the old spoke band and then taking some black electrical tape and taping over the spokes all the way around and then putting a new spoke band on the rim.

• Mtrlpqbiker
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Spokes don't poke holes into tires, ever. They might possibly puncture an inner tube if the rim strip is defective on a single wall rim and the spokes are too long and the spoke ends are above the spoke nipples. That would only cause a single puncture. Stupid answer

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Rim crush. "Snake bite". The result of hitting something that overcomes the air pressure inside the tire and allows it to literally crush the inner tube, between the tire and rim.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.