Do you agree with destroying a child's belongings as a punishment when they purposely break something of yours or someone else's?

Normally I don't condone destroying a child's belongings, after all it's not only childish but it sends the wrong message. However if the child purposely breaks something of yours or someone else's then that to me is a fair punishment. After all if an adult does something like that then you'd probably do the same thing to get even with them. So do you agree with this type of punishment if they purposely destroy something of yours or someone else's?

Yes....,.,.,,,,,.......

Breaking their stuff isn't gonna teach them anything. all it will show them is that they can break other peoples stuff if the other person broke their stuff.

Its so stupid to do that. plus its really violent.

• Star_of_Darkness

It teaches the child that if they break something or act like a brat then something they are about will be taken away form them

• edward

Kids don’t own anything, everything belongs to the parents. What you can do is sell what they love. Get something from it instead of wasting money like that

That is ridiculous. But so is "If an adult does something like that, they would probably do the same thing". And adult wouldn't do so. Just a vengeful child in an adult's body.

Talk about sending the wrong message! You would be doing exactly what the child wrong, but getting away with it. You need to teach responsibility, not revenge!

• Pat Wooden

The act is wrong, no matter what lesson you think it teaches. My mom destroyed my favorite toy when I was about 5. I don't even remember what lesson it was supposed to teach me, but it made me resent my mom for years.

no, cause two wrongs dont make it right

• Charlie4 months agoReport

I agree but in this case I don't really think It's wrong and especially when they hurt someone's feelings from doing that. I don't agree with doing this out of anger if that's what you mean but I do agree with doing this to teach them how they made the other person feel.

No, I don't agree with you. Parents must also lead by example. I've read your questions - I can't imagine what type of example you are making.

Any particular reason you keep asking this? Can't understand the answers? Let me make my answer simpler so you can figure it out.

No.

• Charlie4 months agoReport

I didn't intentionally ask this question more then once, the other two times were an accident because I thought the question didn't go through.

" After all if an adult does something like that then you'd probably do the same thing to get even with them."

Dear god! You should take the items but hide them away or put them out of reach. BE A PARENT and stop playing games with a child.

I do not as an Adult female "get even" with people!

• Star_of_Darkness

Being a parent means you DO break things and you do smack them. Just taking things way doesn't teach them anything since they will get it back

No you don't destroy the child's belongings as a punishment. If a child purposely break something of yours you take something of theirs and make it yours. You teach your child responsibility that if they break something they have to pay for it. Or they have to trade something to you of equal value for what they broke. That's not a punishment that's a proper lesson.

• Charlie4 months agoReport

Ok I agree with that too but I don't really think it's wrong to do it this way either. Yeah I don't agree with doing this type of discipline out of anger, after all that's very terrifying to a child. However this would at least show the child how they made the other person feel.

Yes I agree .