what should i do with my computer once support ends for windows 7?

as a computer beginner, and not tech minded, i'm unsure of what the best move would be regarding my windows 7 desktop computer once support finishes for windows 7...i can't decide on what to do.

a couple of ideas i had was - to keep using my windows 7 computer and keep all my antivirus software up to date.

have windows 10 installed on another hard drive in the same desktop computer i have and have dual operating systems?

but if i have windows 10 installed on a separate hard drive in the same computer, do i leave all my media files -pictures and music etc, which are on my windows 7 pc- do i leave all my media files on the windows 7 hard drive?, or would it be best to move all my media files to the new windows 10 operating system?

and what about the reports that windows 10 looks terrible and is not as good as win 7? and that many things can happen on win 10 which can cause loss of data and precious files? including forced updates?

so in my limited computer knowledge, i don't know what is the best thing to do?

stick with using windows 7 and leave all my media files on that system? or have windows 10 installed on another hard drive, have dual systems and then move all my media files on the windows 10 operating system?

out of those limited ideas, which one should i pick?

and what should i do with all my media files, once support ends- which are presently located on my windows 7 system?

If you don't want to upgrade to Win 10, then keep Win 7 and use it until it finally gives out on you. Technology will keep moving forward and eventually it will leave Win 7 completely behind. But that's not going to be until a few years post-support end. The end of support just means they will no longer provide any security updates to the software which, of course, means your operating system will be vulnerable. So it will be crucial that you keep your anti-virus and Anti-malware programs updated BUT keep in mind eventually they too will stop supporting Win 7.

You need to forget all of the garbage you have read or heard about Win 10. At this point in time, it is nothing but fake news. Initially when Win 10 came out there were a lot of problems because many older era computers had hardware that was not capable of running Win 10, thus causing a massive wave of issues that flooded the market. However the vast majority of those issues were resolved when the respective hardware manufacturers released Win 10 drivers. Now Win 10 is one of the best OS' Microsoft has built.

I, personally, would not install both of them on the same computer. I, personally, would upgrade to Win 10. BUT BUT BUT, if you have an early era Win 7 computer, it's very possible you too will encounter some of these hardware incompatibility issues that plagued so many upgrade users. So make sure your computer can indeed run Win 10 before you install it on it.

So: in summary, Win 7 will continue to function for several years after support ends. If that's your comfort zone, and you just don't want to upgrade, then keep using it. (it may be best for you to stay with Win 7 anyway depending on your hardware). Eventually it's going to stop functioning, however, as more and more computers move forward with modern technology, as well as the age of your computer will eventually reach its life cycle. But when that day comes for you to go to WIn 10, you will see Win 10 is a great OS.

I'd suggest going to this link to see what to do when critical updates for Windows 7 end in January of 2020.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366610/still-using-wind...

Source(s): AOL

Hi.

WHOA there's a LOT of Win10 fans answering this question. I'll be glad to give You some actual Win7 fan advice that has a strong Techie background as well.

1) No matter how You slice it, Win10 is a thousdand times more information invasive than any other OS from Windows or Android. So anything You put on a Win10 system You might as well consider given to the world, whether it's Microsoft that gets it or a scammer / hacker.

2) In My opinion Win7 was the best working system they made, mostly because of the hardware & functionality improvements made at the time it was the latest. I found Windows ME to be beautiful in the same way, because it took the best of the Win95/98/NT systems & rolled them together to end the decade.

2b) The 90's were an incredible decade for hardware improvements, Win7 ended the 2010 decade the same way - but mostly because of the ways We were able to use the hardware improvements from the 90's ... better filesystem support on bigger harddrives with smaller file chunks, huge amounts of system RAM & how it's accessed, & of course the video capabilities that found their way into our living rooms. Then there's the portability & network Xfer speeds.

However the only improvements made in the 2010s decade were in information, who gets it (directly from something You do), who buys it, & how it's used. And Win10 takes full advantage of any chance they can to get it.

3) There have also been some new developments in how well the new hardware capabilities can actually do the work of 2 or even 3 or 4 older computers ... And now there's a thing called a "Virtual machine" software that can actually make Your Win10 run Your Win7, just like it would run an email or Facebook program.

4) Although Win7 doesn't support looking at a Win10 computer & recognizing anything Win10 has done with it, Win7 still has a strong advantage on things like printer / scanners & other major hardware working with it, & most of the actual software You could buy in a store just working with it, & it doesn't force changes to Your personal settings every 2 weeks when it needs to nurse an update from it's maker.

To rush to the actual suggestion - would stick with Win7 as it is on the existing harddrive, but put that harddrive into an external USB case & get a new harddrive for the Win10 installation. That allows You to fully customize the partitions for the new Windows, any new media files You get, & any files from the old Win7 that You want to keep handy without plugging in the external drive.

If You create a Win10 drive, a "Mediadrive", & an NTFS drive that covers pretty much everything for both versions of Windows.

Then, as far as working around the Win10 privacy crap, I personally use a cd-based OS of linux (Their core operating systems are updated & reassembled about every 6 months to include new technology advancements - Windows just uses patches) & I boot with the linux CD to do anything online, so I could actually be living with a computer running WinXP or Vista for My everyday stuff & going online with the same hardware but no snoopiness.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=external+drive+enclosur...

Last notes - LONG answer : I also mentioned "Virtual machines" above - lots of info on those easily available, And if You get a big enough new harddrive for the Win10 installation, remember to save a LOT of space for backups on a seperate partition, & I'd personally also store a Win7 recovery backup there too, just in case Win10 wipes Your external drive on a day it's decided to "not play nice together".

G'Luck!!!

upgrade to Windows 10 i would say unless you cannot access the internet anymore then buy a new computer

Just keep using it until you need to replace it for some other reason. It isn't as though the system is going to fail on its own just because MS won't be supporting it any longer. I stayed on XP forever with my old (old) computer (I think it was two computers ago).

• John

There are those who claim to hate every version of Windows that comes out and 10 is no different. Problem is, they can never actually say WHY. Or if they do it's generally "because I can't find Control Panel" or some such. Nobody ever hates 10 because the network security protocols aren't robust (they are) or because it does defrag on the fly without user input (it does). Nothing in the world can please everybody. Win10 is as fine an OS as Microsoft has ever released.

I am an experience computer jock and I'm keeping my WIN7...period. If my computer goes belly up I'll replace the hardware, but load WIN7 as the OS because the higher versions suck...that's a technical term.

Source(s): Wrote my first computer program in 1964 in COBOL on an IBM 360. Built my first desk-top that ran on CPM OS.
    • oldprof

Ah yes, you're right Ad. But that's when I switch to Linux. And that will run most of the WIN10 compatible stuff. But to a point, MS Office and a couple of other things are the only apps I run and need from my machines.

Windows 10 is the Microsoft OS moving forward (since 2016) whether you like it or not and has a lot of features that Win 7 does not offer. You probably made a mistake by not upgrading to Windows 10 when it came out. Win 10 is used widely by business, personal users, and the government. Most of the bugs have been worked out long ago. The regular updates are generally a good thing. I have had no problems with them on any of my 3 personal computers. There are no immediate plans for windows 11 and windows 10 will be continually enhanced and upgraded (along with security and bug fixes) as part of these updates. People who think it looks terrible are just complaining because it is different and haven't used it much.

Given that you are running a win 7 computer you should consider just buying (or building) a new one win 10 built in. However, if your are happy with the current hardware you have two choices:

1. Upgrading your in-place win 7 OS to win 10 OS. I did this soon after win 10 came out on a computer running win 7 that I had built in 2009 (right after win 7 came out). This worked pretty well for me, but probably due to years of installing and uninstalling apps it has been a little quirky at times (but not in a BSOD kind of way).

2. Do a new clean install, basically erasing everything on the disk and replacing it. I would do this on a new HD and if your desktop has room, install the old HD as an internal data disk (or get a USB enclosure and make it an external HD). After the install, copy anything you need from the old HD to your win 10 user folders. You will have to reinstall your programs, but the system will run optimally and you won't have a bunch of old junk files on your OS drive.

In both cases I would make sure I have a separate backup of my useful data on a seperate USB HD or thumb drive before I did anything.

• Mark

Just because support for 7 has ended, doesn't suddenly mean it'll stop working. There are businesses out there, still running XP (although few and far between; mostly for data-crunching functions), and of course, Win 7. Imo, it's the best of their many OS over the years. However, I do have Win 10, and it's not the ghastly nightmare I half expected. The worst is the start up menu - it's huge - with all the 'apps', available to you, there at your fingertips. I don't use them. Aside from that, no issues to report. Oh, it did brick my webcam, but that was an update issue. I have heard of it doing the same to other programs, so make sure they are up-to-date, first.

The only other cautionary note is things working on 10, may not open again on 7. That's the same with any advanced updated system.

How about....I know this is a crazy idea, but....just upgrade to Windows 10? Wipe out Win7 and just get up to date with your o/s?

Yeah, I loved Win7. I knew all the ins and outs with that o/s. When Win8 came out, I laughed my *ss off and didn't touch it.

Windows 10 is super solid, harder to hack and is continuously updated, unlike Win7 now. Just let it go. Just like WinXP, it has served it's purpose.....now lay it to rest.