My cousin committed suicide overseas what happens to his body?

My cousin committed suicide while staying in New Zealand but he lives in the United States. Does that mean the funeral will be over seas or does the family have the funeral in America?

It depends of how many family members or friends he had in New Zealand. If he is married to a New Zealander or he has a house there and know many people there, he will probably have his funeral in New Zealand but if he was just traveling then you have to transport his body to the US.

• Clive

First and foremost, my best love and condolences on your loss.

That's up to the family. Hopefully he had travel insurance that covers the high cost of paying for repatriating the body, or else the funeral will have to be in New Zealand if the family can't pay to get his body home.

It really is expensive to repatriate a body because airlines will have strict requirements that it must be in a sealed coffin for them to take It as cargo. If the family can manage to comply with all of that, fine, you can get his body home and have a funeral in the USA.

Failing that, the other possibility is to have him cremated in NZ and get the ashes sent home for burial or scattering wherever you want. You could still have a memorial service in the USA with or without the ashes.

• Connor6 months agoReport

This reminds me of Nora's case. They've been trying to take her body back to the UK - I haven't found out what happened next then I believe that they had already returned. As of now there has been no funeral.

If the family cannot afford to have his body sent back to them, he will probably be buried in New Zealand. If you ever feel the same., I hope you will remember the impact of such an act will have on your loved ones.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Maxi

Well hopefully your cousin had travel insurance in which case that should cover to high cost of bringing him back to the US, if not then if his family want him back in the US they will have to pay, or a cheaper option is to pay to have him cremated in NZ and sent back